2014-16 TEMAC Tickler, Caring for our New Runway.

Started by Papa, May 09, 2014, 07:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

No driving stakes through vampires on it, also, please.
And no picnics on it.

That should cover it! ;-)

Ededge2002

Re rule #10
If bringing a beautiful model with your model, please carry her on the runway as pictured. Thank you for your cooperation.  If she can stick to the grass areas she would be considered a Champ...
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

wollins

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

sihinch

One serious addition - no helis or quads on the runway please. Too much risk of blade damage (if tipping over or generally crashing!)

piker

Sorry for being "that guy" that questions the rules... but...

Why no seaplanes?  As Colin pointed out in another post, the float plane or flying boat is probably the BEST type of plane for preserving the safety of the runway.  It would be very difficult to have a prop strike with that sort of plane, and the bottoms of the hull/floats are very smooth, as required for hydroplaning.

Compare that to a tail dragger than is very likely to tip over onto a spinning prop, a trike that can tip to the side and strike a prop, or even a micro EDF with it's tiny wheels and sharp axels and landing gear struts.

Of course, if the plane has fixed rudders, like the Beaver, or even folding rudders with risk of sharp protrusions, I wouldn't recommend landing on the runway.

piker

And what about belly landing EDFs with smooth bottoms and no horns that can catch?   ;D

Sorry...  :-X

sihinch

If you have an EDF with NO sharp bits - no protrusions, no servo arms with control rods, absolutely NOTHING that can catch the runway, then I dont see why not.  :-\

People MUST make a sensible decison about their model, and be honest about snagging risks (for the sake of all club members.)

I'm not going to comment on float planes - I just dont feel qualified to have an opinion. Sorry.  ???

Michael

I sort of agree with Robert and Simon.

Common sense is what must be used here. Unfortunately, not everybody exercises common sense, hence the need for rules.

The basic intent of the rules are: Don't damage the runway.

I'm sure responsible and careful use of the runway will draw no complaints.

Michael

piker

Of course common sense is required, but there are firm rules in place right now banning all seaplanes and all belly landings.  So I'm just wondering...

It doesn't really matter to me as I would rather belly land on the grass and fly my seaplanes from water  ;D

Tomahawk

I never thought that rule #10 would be that much of an issue out in a grassy flying field. ???
LOL!  Only in Toronto!

Chris

imran1042

I believe with some ESC's or motor's you can add a switch on your remote to COMPLETELY STOP the prop from spinning, I'm sure that would help when landing a model that is known to tip over a lot.
Any day at the field is a good day :)

Tomahawk

Quote from: piker on May 09, 2014, 01:46:43 PM
Of course common sense is required, but there are firm rules in place right now banning all seaplanes and all belly landings.  So I'm just wondering...

It doesn't really matter to me as I would rather belly land on the grass and fly my seaplanes from water  ;D

I would think that you would be removing material from the bottom of your flying boat than actually damaging the geotex.  Kind of like landing on asphalt but not as bad.

Chris

Papa

We don't have rules because we need expert evidence to back up a rule.

These are more properly called guidelines.

They are there to help you arrive at a common sense decision.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

That's very possible, Chris.  To be determined.

"They are there to help you arrive at a common sense decision."
[/size]
;D   Good luck with THAT!   ;D