12 volt battery selection for field charging

Started by niterdr, May 11, 2008, 01:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niterdr

I am wondering what kind of Battery to get to charge my Lipo's, Nicad's and Nimh battery packs at the field. I have a number of chargers, some that even swing both ways, but I hesitate clamping onto my car battery in case it fails to get me going and leaves me stranded. I have been looking at a 103 amp hour deep cycle marine battery and an automatic charger at CTC, any suggestions?

Alex Gray
The wingless wonder

Alex Gray
Alex Gray
The Wingless Wonder

oldtrc

I would another battery specified for my own vehicle so that in case my own car battery car dies I have it ready for spare at the same time use it for my RC chargers.
Usually car Batteries have a high reserve capacity.

N[:)]

MarcV

Car batteries are no good for our use.  They aren't designed for deep discharge, but are optimized for providing high current, like starting a car.

A deep discharge battery is what you require.

niterdr

So I take it my choice of a Deep Cycle Marine battery is a good one? With a capacity of 103 amps it should be able to charge quite a few packs in a day.

Alex Gray
The Wingless Wonder
Alex Gray
The Wingless Wonder

piker

Yes, deep cycle is the way to go.  You should also get a proper charger for the deep cycle battery.

A couple of years ago I switched to the sealed Nautilus deep cycles from Can Tire as the previous couple of batteries I had would leak.  The acid ruined a good pair a jeans and my spring jacket (I still don't have a spring jacket anymore).  They're more expensive, but seem to be doing well.  I have two now for weekends like York, where there's lots of flying time and little deep cycle charging time. It's also good to have two at the lake.  One for charging and one for powering the retreival boat [:D]

Robert