Power Supplies

Started by gordonbw, March 24, 2013, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

All the requested items could fit within the Mean Well case. I just opened one up and looked.
If your not interested in undertaking it yourself I would do it for you with a pick up/ drop off at the field. I have a lot of experience with this type of modification and it would take about an hour.
If the unit is a single output all the output terminals are just paralleled.

Will post photos tonight of one I've converted.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Ededge2002

Mean Well  S-320-24 power supply i looked inside to see there is space.
Glorified FPV station that I modify to have the power supply inside (they are sold with them outside so they dont need to be UL inspected)
Converted computer power supply showing use of proper spacing of banana plug outlets so that Pamona electronics type banana plugs line up.
Converted Motorola power supply

gordonbw

Ed, I would like to take you up on your generous offer to help with the conversion.  I will bring the PS and some compoents to the field on Saturday.  What's your preferred brewski?

Ededge2002

Were you set on going Saturday?  I'm trying to arrange that I can make it Sunday if at all this weekend.  If need be I'm sure there will be repeat visitors this weekend!

Bobmic

Where can I find a server power supply? I had a PC one but it was not powerful enough.

thx,
Bobby

gordonbw

Ed... I'll probably make it out on Sunday.

Ededge2002

I'm sorry I missed you Sunday. I arrived late as I had obligations. I will possibly be there Wednesday and one of the days this weekend. Let me know

gordonbw

No worries Ed -- we cab try again on the weekend.   I heard you did some awesome rescue / recovery work on Sunday!

Ededge2002

I picked up the power supply on the weekend and took a few moments last night to get it set up.  Nothing complicated just add banana power output terminals, on/off switch and power cord.  As the photos show I didn't have any black wire on hand the right gauge so the banana terminal wires are all red with three thinner wires per terminal making it easier to have the wires flex and still have more than enough gauge.  With the terminal strip removed and the wires soldered directly I used a little drop of epoxy to cover each wire from the top for safety. 

gordonbw

How cool is this?  Ed, you are a total mensch.  What are you drinking?