Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: TEMAC Driveway Gravel
Last post by sihinch - Today at 04:31:27 AM
Thanks so much David! It's greatly appreciated.
Building / Construction / Re: OV10 Bronco by Planeprint
Last post by davidk - Yesterday at 09:19:12 PM
Agreed... Planeprint has been the best, IMO, for getting the details right.  LW-PLA with Infill makes a part that is almost as strong as balsa.  Eclipson planes are really nice, but they're using a Sprial Vase mode which is just not as robust.  As for the finish, I was lucky enough to come across a BambuLabs article detailing every setting for getting LW-PLA to print well.  I could not get this nice a finish with Prusa Slicer.  Bambu Studio, Prusa Slicer, and Orca Slicer all have the same base.  Bambu Studio didn't support the Prusa MK4 but Orca Slicer does.  Orca Slicer is really close to Bambu Studio.  So I applied the Bambu settings to Orca Slicer and got excellent prints.

Here the parts are finally going together.  The motor fuselage is secured with a clamp over the 6mm tube.  Not only does Rene get the build details right, he pays so much attention to the plane details as well.

Last post by Gil.E - Yesterday at 08:47:35 PM
Hi David,
This is really nice.  The surface quality of the foaming LW-PLA, design sophistication, and precision are amazing!

Things have changed quite allot since the beginning back in 2015.

This last model in the series of models you printed and built over the winter pushed me over to get back into printing and building again. Thanks (I hope  :) ) for the inspiration.   
Flight Instruction / Re: Training tomorrow, Wednesd...
Last post by Omar - Yesterday at 06:10:53 PM
We had an absolute blast training yesterday! It was only my second session, and once the wind died down, it was even more fun. Near the end, we had a classic "uh-oh" moment when we lost communication with the plane and veered toward the north-east end of the field. Rumor has it that this spot, and a few others around, are known for crashes. Despite that little scare, the day was awesome.

Today, working on the plane, the damage wasn't too bad. Just a small part of the wing was busted, but I got it fixed up quickly. Huge thanks to Frank for donating with a spare propeller. My plane's back in action and ready for our next training session on Wednesday.

Big shoutout to everyone for their help and support, especially Mark for his work on buddy-boxing, and Paul for installing the new propeller and providing the screws. See you all next Wednesday!
Last post by davidk - Yesterday at 04:05:29 PM
A 1mm x 5mm carbon fiber strip running the length of the elevator is glued in place.  Planeprint allows for the size of the strip and also builds in 2 channels for thin CA.
Flight Instruction / Thank you…
Last post by Bridger - Yesterday at 05:04:13 AM
A wonderful day of instruction both on Monday and Wednesday. My thanks to Oscar for his expertise setting up my buddy box and great patience instructing me in my first real flights on Monday including takeoff and landing. Your Zen vibe is very calming and your knowledge astounding.
And yesterday my great appreciation goes to Mark, who helped me rebind everything and for his tireless support. I don't know where we as students would be without Mark's selfless help and enthusiasm, he is the heart of Wednesdays' instruction sessions. And finally last but by no means least my thanks to Frank for his patience and easygoing but so effective training style, you let us learn from our mistakes but are always there to get us out of the real jams, my hat is off to you Frank .
And finally just great thanks to all the members of Temac for all your support and collegial attitude, you've made me feel very welcome to this club and this great hobby - thank you.
Best Victor
Last post by davidk - Yesterday at 12:45:53 AM
I don't know how Rene figures this stuff out.  These parts are the Battery Tray and supports and are the last pieces being glued into place.  The supporting pieces are screwed onto the battery tray and then glued into the fuselage.  This process ensures the supports are exactly where they need to be.  Then the battery tray can be easily removed.  This entire structure is also tied into the main fuselage support and into the front gear parts.  As parts are added the plane as a whole gets stronger.
Flight Instruction / Re: Training tomorrow, Wednesd...
Last post by Frank v B - May 22, 2024, 09:59:57 PM
Surprise!! It became a beautiful evening as it went on.
- 3 pm- rain and a Tornado warning for Newmarket/south of Barrie.  It rained for 10 minutes
- 4 pm- It rained again for 10 minutes but by then Andy left so the night started to look better
- 5 pm- David, our first student showed up and we decided to try it.  Very windy, very gusty
- in the next half hour students Victor, Omar, Maya (TMU), Tony and Colin's sons showed up.
Good news was that all students got at least two flights.  Bad news...only one flight instructor so they did not have a choice of who to victimize.

Thanks to Mark, Paul and Colin for setting up students/transmitters/airplanes.

Good to see Gil E. at the field to pick up his auction items.  He was inspired by David K's posts on the Bronco 3D print and has started a printed Mustang.  Gil was Temac's original 3D print master and did a presentation when we still had Pilot's Meetings at Col Mustard restaurant.  I remember his first step to 3-D printing was to check the health of your marriage. David K. did that! ;)

Photo report
35- look who is back from his Australia/New Zealand/Victoria trips
42- Paul, Mark and David trying to decide whether to get David's Apprentice into the air.
44- David after his first of two flights.
45- Victor after his first of two flights.
48- Omar after his first flight.
50- A roll of blue Tuc Tape is evidence that TMU students were present.  Maya did a take-off and landing.
52- How many members does it take to change a 9 x6 broken prop on Omar's plane?

Frank

Last post by davidk - May 22, 2024, 12:45:11 PM
The motor mount parts screw and glue together to form a support cage.  I put one together and fitted it to the fuselage and found that the motor was sticking out a bit far... about 8mm.  I checked my motor against the suggested motor and found I might have selected the wrong one.  I have four on my desk... 2 Turnigy 3548 and 2 Turnigy 3542 - the specs call for a 3542... and I'm shaking my head.  Then I realized that with the prop adapter on, the 3542 was actually longer by about 2mm.  Sheesh.  So, I go back to the Planeprint site just to double check and find that Rene has posted what he calls a "Free Tuning Part"  There are a few better tuned parts for the Bronco and I had all of them... but he'd just posted a new one this week.  A motor mount that is 8mm shorter than the original.  Yikes.
These are the parts and the difference in sizes.  Motors mounted and installed.
Flight Instruction / Training tomorrow, Wednesday M...
Last post by Frank v B - May 21, 2024, 09:25:30 PM
Tomorrow will be our third training night of the year.  The weather forecast shows a lot of wind is expected but we will see what actually happens.  I will be there regardless of the weather conditions.  5:00 pm until it becomes hard to see.

I will bring the all the auction stuff.

Frank

ps: remember that learning to fly in windy conditions makes you a better pilot a lot faster.