Beginner - Introducing myself

Started by salvix, April 27, 2009, 12:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvix

Hello there!

My name is Sergio, I'm a Software Developer and I'm just starting at this hobby. LEGO has been my main hobby (Trains, Technic, Robots, etc), but I have finally decided to start with RC. I only have a Vapor and Blade mCX (micro heli), but I'm already hooked [:D]

I was at the EMFSO Indoor Dome fly this weekend (empty-handed, no MAAC) and had a great time seeing others fly and talking to the friendly folks over there. My MAAC application has been submitted and I've got my EMFSO membership. TEMAC is the next one I'll submit.

Clair Murray was a pleasure to meet and already gave me lots of invaluable information. We discussed a lot which trainer I should start with, which boiled down to the Hobbico NextSTAR EP or E-Flite Apprentice 15e. After lots of homework, I've decided to start with another trainer, the E-Flite T-34 Mentor (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL4800). Even though it's a low wing plane, it is a trainer and has what they call a Progressive Trainer System -- wish me luck on that! [:)]

I hope to meet more people at the field soon and can't wait to start my lessons with Clair!

Sergio

rkhoo

Welcome Sergio, I am sure you will have a blas with the T-34.  Although it is a touch more advanced than the other 2 trainers, you can rest asure that Clair will leadth you to great flights.

Sergio, RC flying is a long-term hobby.  Givin the amount of time you WILL spent on RC, picking the right trainer to start is of paramount.  Getting a plane you like is good.  Getting a plane your intructor loves is even better ;)

See you at the field.

Ronald

Papa

Welcome Sergio. I was the old guy you talked with who introduced you to Clair. If you get half of the fun and enjoyment I have form the hobby then you will be well satisfied with your choices. Did you give your e-mail address to Clair?

Jack Higgins.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

Hi Sergio

That's a nice plane; If Clair says it's OK, I'd be willing to help you learn with it.

Michael

Michael
Michael

battlestu

that is a nice plane. I've been hoping e-flite would ship a plane only version.

Let us know how the build goes and how she handles in the air.

BTW welcome to the hobby/club
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

Still haven't joined TEMAC ...  [:)]

Michael
Michael

salvix

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :)

I've been busy building the T-34 (much more fun than filing out TEMAC membership forms, Michael [:)]) and it's almost finished -- I'm taking my time building it while also learning the inner workings of it.

It's a shame it came with the wrong charger connection (cigarette plug instead of aligator clips), so I can't charge my battery... I'll get the charger replaced next week, but today I got a cable from a friend to connect the cigarette plug into my power supply, so I should be ready for the weekend.

The landing gears were quite hard to install because they wouldn't stay flush with the wings as the manual said... then I realized it was just a matter of scraping the wood close to the wing hole to give room to the pre-bent metal gear.

Except for the landing gears, everything else so far has been pretty straightforward, including the flap servo. I've double checked all screws to make sure they're reasonably tight, especially the motor mount.

Michael: I'd assume Clair would be OK with you also helping me. I'll check with him and let you know. Thanks anyway!

Sergio -- who couldn't be more anxious [}:)]