Balsa USA 1/4 N17 Restoration

Started by Gregor77, October 29, 2012, 11:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Well, thanks to Bill, I have another project on the table.   1/4 N17 from Balsa USA.   He suggested that I go with Billy Bishops plane to keep it Canadian.  ;D

The covering was stripped and the build was OK, but needs lots of attention to recover again.  I have been sanding for two days now.  There is lots of glue from the old covering.  Looked like Fabric.   The tail section needed some work as the elevator was not set up correctly and showed some damage and poor repairs.  I redid the elevator and now need plans (which I might call Balsa USA to send me some).   I wanted to run a pull pull system on the plane.  It will be cleaner and allow me to work some scale magic on it.   I am grabbing the silver solartex tonight and maybe will have some time to do the alerions.

I will post some images soon. It looks to be about as much effort as the 1/5 moth I got last year and you saw on the second day of the warbirds event this year.

Gregor77

Here are some images of the plane at home...

Don't laugh... I cleaned up, but some of the planes are waiting for a sunny day and moved back upstairs to wait for the sunshine..  ::)

Ededge2002

Looks nice. Thanks for the second picture it should keep me out of the doghouse!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Gregor77

I grabbed everything that I need to get this one together...

I have some questions on the pull pull system.  I got a heavy duty one from the LHS. I have a bunch of ball links and some misc parts.   I wanted to get this as close  to the real plane as possible.   I was thinking of stacking the servos and having the pull pull attached right to the servo.  Is there anything wrong with this.  The servos will be right at the back of the firewall and there is room for maintance due to the lower wing.   I was going to have the rudder servo mounted normally and have the elevator servo mounted sideways on a ply plate with some beams running across the base.   The area where the servo is mounted sideways will be open to allow full travel of the wires.  It will be screwed in place.   If I need to fix the rudder, it will be just under the elevator one.  I can't mount them sideways as I wanted the wires running straight down the fuse.

I have ordered the G160 same as my Pup.  I will use the same ESC and a sep battery pack for this one.

As for some scale details.  I am going to make my own pilot as the store bought stuff is starting to bore me...

piker

Any time I've used a pull-pull system, I've hooked directly to the servo.  I see nothing wrong with it as long as the pre-load tension on the closed loop syatem isn't too high and the servo is large/powerful enough to handle the flight loads.  Servos are intended to take flying loads at their bearings.  The pull-pull system is no different than a pushrod system in this regard.

I have seen set-ups where a servo uses a short pushrod to rotate a bellcrank within the fuselage that creates the internal turnaround point for the pull-pull system.  This is a cool system as it takes the sustained loads off the servo and also creates the opportunity for a better balanced mounting for the internal bellcrank (the bellcrank could be on a shaft that's supports above and below the bellcrank), but I feel this system addeds complexity, weight, and accumulated slop (more points of linkage, each with its own slop error).  MAYBE benefitial in precision aerobatics, but IMHO not necessary for your plane.

However, I have not built a 1/4 scale biplane before so perhaps I'm out to lunch.....  :)

Regarding your monting orientation.  I don't think you need to mount the elevator servo on it's site.  I think you could mount it vertically, like the rudder servo, and have the wires exit on the appropriate side(s) of the fuselage to connect to the elevator.  In that case you might need to set one of the servos higher than the other to avoid interfereance of the wires or servos arms.  However, if you have the room, do whatever turns your crank... ;D

Robert

Gregor77

Thanks Robert, that helps!

I got all the stuff and I am starting tonight.. .I am hoping to have this one done in a few weeks while I cut parts for the DR-1.

I just have to resist buying anymore projects...   

Gregor77

Hey this one is a bit of work.  Plus it looks like an ARF. Lol.  The n17 is coming.  Still sanding and designing a layout for the pull pull.  But should be done for the spring.

gordonbw

williame3590

Oh yea.....a little buffing and we are airborn again!  LOL

Bill

Gregor77

I am in Florida now.  I went to one club and the winds were down to 5 k.  It was a ghost town. I asked if there was anyone flying.  They said they only see one guy most of the time. So being me. I looked in the waste bin and there was a nosed in ARF.  Generally I know what they are. But I could not tell.  Lol.  I am itchy to keep working son this one.   No one here carries any parts for 1/4 scale. I did get one vickers gun. Lol.