2015/2016 Advanced Build Group - CANCELLED!!!

Started by piker, October 27, 2015, 12:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Tomorrow evening, October 28, at 7:00pm, we will be holding our first "Advanced Build Group" meeting to kick off the building season.

The meeting will be held in the basement of Colonel Mustards restaurant, 6545 Hwy 7, Markham (same place as all our meetings).  However, if you're able to get there earlier, we meet in the restaurant for dinner, anytime after 5:00pm.  I aim to get there for 6:00.

The original plan for this build group was to all build the Douglas Dolphin that Jack had plans for.  Several people expressed interest in building that plane and that is still an option.  However, other have expressed interest in choosing their own build subject, so we are going to open it up to any build you'd like to do. 

The concept of the Advanced Build Group is to provide an evening for builders to get together, share the progress we make over the two weeks prior, and discuss building, finishing, design, etc. techniques that may be beyond the beginner level of building.  Of course anyone and everyone is invited to attend, even if you're not building an "advanced" model.  There will be lots to learn.

To add to the variety and learning opportunities in this group I am proposing that we hold presentations on various building techniques throughout the season.   Subjects like:  fibreglass work, painting, vacuum forming, vacuum bagging, advanced covering, detailing, foam cutting, etc.  I will be looking for guest presenters to add a lot of variety to the presentations.  I think with this approach we will have a very exciting and informative build group.

This first week, since we are just getting started, I propose that everyone brings in their plans or kit that they intend to build and give a little presentation on the model and the approach they intend to take.  I suggest we also have an aircraft plan viewing time for those who may not have settled on a model yet.  I'll bring in my box of plans and ask that you all do the same.  Then we can have a look at what we have and if anyone wants to build from a set of plans, they can either buy, or copy what they want.  From there we'll plan for the next build session.

So, I hope we get a good turnout for these Advanced Build Group meetings.  They will be a lot of fun and very informative, so come on out!

See you all at the Colonels!

Robert

sihinch

This sounds like a fabulous approach! Thank you so much Robert for taking the lead on this.

I got my plan out last night and aim to make a material list tonight.

Can't wait to see everyone.

Wingnutz

Hi folks,
It's  8:00 p.m. Wednesday evening and I just realized I've missed class...sorry guys. My Dad passed away Monday afternoon and I'm ...out  of sorts.
I'll try to make the next one.
Bill
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

battlestu

so sorry to hear that Bill...i'll keep him my prayers tonight

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

Andy Hoffer

Hi Bill:

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. I know you guys were close and shared a lot of common interests in aviation and model building.  You were both blessed to have each other for so long.   Wishing you strength and comfort from memories of all the happy times you spent together doing what you both loved.

Sincerely, Andy

Frank v B

Hey Bill,

Sorry to hear about your dad.  You are just going to have to build another Canadian model in his honour.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Michael

Wingnutz

Greg, Simon, Andy, Frank, Michael and all my friends at TEMAC,
Thanks for your kind thoughts and words. Dad was 92 this year and built his first model airplane over eighty years ago. He was still building early this year. He learned to fly RC  in his late eighties and  on calm days, delighted in flying his Hobbico UMX size Champ and watching the other RC models he built flying...often at ROGO field.
He learned to fly full size in a deHavilland Tiger Moth in WWII and earned his pilot's wings in the RAF.
My love of flying machines big and little comes from him and I will miss him especially when flying...models or full size. I was two weeks too late getting my rec pilots permit to take him full sized flying...he had grown too weak.
Two of the models I am considering for a TEMAC winter build project were ones he started...
His Celebration of Life will be this Sunday at McDougall and Brown's Funeral Home, 2900 Kingston Road in Scarborough, at 3:00 p.m., visitation from 1:00-3:00 p.m.

piker

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Bill.  I know you were able to spend some good times with your Dad over a beer and the building board.

We did have our first "Advanced" meeting last night, but it seems the general consensus is that it doesn't really make sense to try to fit another build session into our already busy schedule.  We decided that we will eliminate the Advanced Build Group and just carry on with the Beginner/Intermediate, on a bi-weekly schedule, and the monthly Pilots Meetings. 

However, we do want to encourage as much building as possible and ask that everyone who is building over the winter use the Pilots Meetings as an opportunity to share your project and progress with the rest of the club.  Don't just wait until the model is finished.  Bring the project in each month and let the rest of the club enjoy your accomplishments with you.

electroflyer

Bill,

I too am very sorry to hear of the passing of your father. I know that he was an avid builder and remember you and him coming to Temac several times, what a quality way to spend time together!
Glenn

Gregor77

Bill I am saddened to hear the loss of your father!  He was really a talented builder and it shows in your stuff too and the few that you showed us over the years.  Sorry for your loss.

Wingnutz

Thanks for the kind words. Dad was quite a builder...of model airplanes and lots of other stuff; scale model steam locomotive, saiboards, outboard powered hydroplanes, full sized airplanes, soap box racers, and beehives being a few of the build highlights. In his late eighties, he learned to fly RC and always enjoyed his times at TEMAC. Thanks to everyone for making him feel welcome.

Wingnutz

Quote from: piker on October 29, 2015, 01:50:08 PM

We did have our first "Advanced" meeting last night, but it seems the general consensus is that it doesn't really make sense to try to fit another build session into our already busy schedule.  We decided that we will eliminate the Advanced Build Group and just carry on with the Beginner/Intermediate, on a bi-weekly schedule, and the monthly Pilots Meetings. 

However, we do want to encourage as much building as possible and ask that everyone who is building over the winter use the Pilots Meetings as an opportunity to share your project and progress with the rest of the club.  Don't just wait until the model is finished.  Bring the project in each month and let the rest of the club enjoy your accomplishments with you.
I'll be there on the 11th and the 25th

Gregor77

I have been trying to come out the last few times.. but challenged with the baby.  I started working on my eindecker again.  It's great to get back into it!