Earning wings

Started by iliyan2482, September 27, 2012, 09:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

thehaze

Quote from: bfeist on September 27, 2012, 01:45:57 PM
That a great point Ed about not just bashing around the sky. A question for discussion: does anyone think that cheap foam airframes and low cost power systems has caused the usual careful learning curve to be shortened?

I was probably more adverse to crashing than most when I was first starting out. But I built my built-up trainer over a winter and I spent all of my time and energy trying to ensure that it didn't crash. I flew it for years. It feels like the more "disposable" foam airframes wouldn't demand the same knee-shaking caution from new pilots. Thoughts?

Ben

I don't dispute that, but on the other hand, it's the availability of these planes and the ease in which one can get them in the air that has grown the hobby.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm more of a pilot than a modeler. And I'm not sure I'd be doing this if I had to kit build. And trust me, I'm always scared when I'm flying a model for the first time (and for one model.. every time I fly it) , foam or not.

From a training perspective, it's a game changer and it's forcing clubs like ours to look at new ways to accommodate a new kind of flyer. Some people want to fly large and complex models, while others are happy to fly foamies and micros. It's the range of choice that makes this hobby so much fun.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

thehaze

Quote from: sihinch on September 27, 2012, 03:39:34 PM
No U in tomorrow!  ;D

Those are the words that started the summer of Mike! Thank you Dalton!

bfeist

Quote from: thehaze on September 27, 2012, 03:47:52 PM
Quote from: sihinch on September 27, 2012, 03:39:34 PM
No U in tomorrow!  ;D

Those are the words that started the summer of Mike! Thank you Dalton!

That's a great point Mike. I know I sounded a bit like an old guy pining for the good old days. I'm as big a fan as any of the transformation this hobby has enjoyed in recent years. I think it's interesting to look back and track what impact those changes have had and why, that's all.

Cheers,
Ben

the giant

I'd like to add two cents to this discussion.  Suppose a new pilot comes out with a foamy, earns his wings and then decides to move on to another club. And his next airplane is a 50cc gasser.  No one at that club can confirm or deny that pilot's ability to fly until some serious carnage has occured.  As far as they are concerned that pilot has his wings (even if he is not really capable of piloting such an aircraft).  It would really look bad on TEMAC if shortcuts are permitted.  Keep up the solid training program guys.  It pays great dividends.  To the new pilots: trust your instructors.  They can recognize who "gets it" quick and who needs extra training.  The goal of every instructor is to produce safe, competent pilots who are able to fully maximize the joy that this hobby brings. 
Just a thought from a former instructor. 
Andre

Gregor77

Andre, that is a valid point for sure...

I know that I have been playing with 1/4 scale electrics now.  A year ago this was not possible.  Electric planes are limited to certain sizes and types.  Mainly due to technology.   It would make sense to have a graduated wings system if anything.  But common sense should be applied.  Even though I have my wings, I would not consider a large gasser.  Mainly due to the fact I have no experience with them.  I had a person ask me if I wanted to try his 1/3 gasser.  I said no, but inside I was "oh baby!".

But in all fairness, the person should know what thier limitations are, regardless of wings.

thehaze

Quote from: the giant on September 28, 2012, 11:49:20 AM
As far as they are concerned that pilot has his wings (even if he is not really capable of piloting such an aircraft).  It would really look bad on TEMAC if shortcuts are permitted.   

This is the very issue that occupies most of my time! Lots of our newest members are joining the club and getting started by flying models that are not what one would consider the classic club trainer. And there's nothing wrong with that. IMHO if it can fly, and you're having fun with it, then it's a fine model. However, there needs to be a graduated system in place to allow for new pilots to transition into larger models safely if they choose to do so.

I think there's a way to make this all work. I'm looking at how other clubs are treating this, but I think TEMAC, as the only exclusively electric club in the zone, (and probably the most likely club of choice for the park pilot) needs to be ahead of the curve, rather than behind it.  I'm particularly interested at how the AMA decided to deal with park flyers.  http://www.theparkpilot.org/. I'd like to see the same from MAAC, but I think they've got other issues to deal with right now.

Ededge2002

Quote"I think they've got other issues to deal with right now."

Ya think? lol
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

Quote from: Ededge2002 on September 28, 2012, 03:27:24 PM
Quote"I think they've got other issues to deal with right now."

Ya think? lol

I was being polite.  ;)

Tomahawk

Quote from: the giant on September 28, 2012, 11:49:20 AM
Suppose a new pilot comes out with a foamy, earns his wings and then decides to move on to another club. And his next airplane is a 50cc gasser.  No one at that club can confirm or deny that pilot's ability to fly until some serious carnage has occured.  As far as they are concerned that pilot has his wings (even if he is not really capable of piloting such an aircraft). Andre

At our club, when we have pilots wanting to join and who may hold wings from another club. A check flight and a field orientation is required with one of our club instructors before being allowed to fly.
The instructor can easily see if the new member can fly safely or will require more instruction.

Chris