LED Night Flying!

Started by Ededge2002, May 29, 2013, 07:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

After seeing a couple planes at training night with led's  on them a few weeks ago I took the inspiration to do up one of my planes.  Knowing that I wanted to light the plane I made some LED's on carbon posts and some others mounted to the airframe so they pointed at the plane. I used white for the top and amber for the bottom wiring them with thin magnet wire.
Late last night just before the rain I flew it!  Wow what a blast!  I admit I had flown with a flashlight taped to a plane but nothing like this before.  From 100meters away I could still see the plane and its orientation pretty well but need to do a little tweaking still. Will post pictures later.
Thanks to the individuals for the inspiration!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

I saw it tonight and it was awesome.  Ed flew until 9.30pm!

Next time I'll have my Sbach too, Ed!  8)

Ededge2002

I'm thinking of bringing an inverter powered rope light as a runway marker and having a little night funfly! 

Winds were zero and the field was perfect. I had forgotten what a wonderful plane the one I chose to put lights on was.

Good fun

flyboy

Hey Ed,

Let me know when you plan on trying this out. If I'm available I'd love to come out to the field and see what It's like - this is yet another aspect of RC flying that I would be very interested in.

Ededge2002

I'm considering bringing the stuff out for Wednesday nights. Once the training is done its the perfect time. 

akabek

Quote from: Ededge2002 on June 02, 2013, 09:05:51 AM
I'm considering bringing the stuff out for Wednesday nights. Once the training is done its the perfect time.

Hey Ed, it was a pleasure to meet you last Wednesday night.  I ended up ordering the RS352 Sbach from icare this past week.  It looks like a great 3D trainer to fly anywhere.  Where did you buy your LED system and which kit was it?

Cheers
Rick

Ededge2002

I made my own led set up. I had the stuff on hand and just started soldering!
There are a few available and the one Simon has looks promising although I've never seen it in the dark.   
These are the ones he has the "Genesis" kit:

http://www.aurorarc.com/products-page

Just a tip in building these all epp airframes. Use "household goop" available at home depot. Its cheap and provides an amazing yet flex able bond that is perfect for them. Kept light its a great performer. Mine is just 500g(17.7oz) ready to fly. 

sihinch

I already have one plane with night lights, as Ed mentioned (the Genesis kit, and I love it) but I have been inspired by James and Lloyd with their brightly coloured LEDs.  4 months ago I bought some LED colour strips, but today I got round to putting them on my "all weather, any purpose" plane - PZ Extra.

Hope you like the pictures.....thanks James & Lloyd!

Ededge2002

As I neglected to add a photo of mine here is one.  Since the photo was taken ive added a couple more LED's to the tail and turned the brightness of the ones on the tail to the same brightness as the ones on the wings.  Note this photo was taken in total darkness with no flash!

flyboy

You guys are a bad influence  ;). Now I've got to go and buy another plane  ;D

Ededge2002

I would recommend something relatively slow stable and durable.

flyboy

I've got a brick I can strap some wings on. Will that work? 8)

akabek

Are there instructions for a DIY setup?  I am all game to pull out the soldering gun and go at it

Ededge2002

If you come out Wednesday I could give some tips or were you trying to be prepared for then?

akabek

Quote from: Ededge2002 on June 03, 2013, 10:43:14 PM
If you come out Wednesday I could give some tips or were you trying to be prepared for then?

So far I have my motor but I don't even know if icare has shipped my plane yet so no rush.  Maybe just looking at your setup will be enough to get me started.  I plan to be there Wed night.