Float Fly, Tavares Pond, SATURDAY, June 20th at 5:00pm

Started by piker, June 17, 2015, 05:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

I'm very pleased to announce another opportunity to fly at the fantastic Tavares Pond, this coming Saturday, June 20th!

David had invited us back for an evening of float flying from his private pond near his home.  Anyone who has been there knows how wonderful it is to fly there and what a gracious host David is. 

We'll start at 5:00pm and fly until dark (9:00 ish).  Later in the evening is the perfect time for float flying as the winds die down and the water turns glass smooth.  Bring a chair, your planes, a bite to eat for dinner, something to drink, and maybe a light jacket as it can cool down in the evening,

The weather, at this point, is looking to be pretty good for Saturday, and the water is always clear, smooth, and welcoming at David's place.

This Saturday is the last day of Spring, so let's kick-off summer with a wonderful float fly at a perfect location with our usual bunch of float flying friends.  Even if you haven't flown from floats before, or you want to test fly a new seaplane, come on out.  There's plenty of help available!

I hope you can make it!  Let me know if you have any questions.

Here's a link to the driveway entrance:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.8650066,-79.5530309/43.8557564,-79.5990177/@43.8551975,-79.5813551,5526m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

Michael

I got permission from my wife!  :D

Please, now work on the weather.
Michael

piker

So I don't have to call her.  That's good 'cause she scares me too   ;D

Oh, and the weather will be perfect.

Skyking

Actually, I can.

gordonbw

I'll be there, and I'm bringing my wife, so behave. (She's not scary, Rob).

piker

I'm glad you guys can make it!  I hope we have a good turnout as the weather will be perfect!

Who else is coming out? 

eric

Trying to juggle family commitments so I can get out.

octagon

I think I am going to be able to make it. I will be at ROGO this afternoon and then go from there.
What could possibly go wrong?

piker

We had a fantastic float fly at David's pond on Saturday evening.  The weather was very nice to go along with the wonderful facility that David Tavares provides for us.

I guess because it was Father's Day weekend, David had his son and daughter visiting with their spouses and kids, so there were lots of excited spectators watching our float flying frivolities   ;D

We had our usual bunch out to the pond including, Gerry, Eric, Ken, Ken, Ken, Michael, Glenn, Peter, Gordon and his wife (sorry I can't remember her name), Alan, Jack and Mary, and myself.  Did I miss anyone?  And there was lots of flying to enjoy.  We flew until just before dark and all left with a smile on our faces looking forward to the next chance to float fly again.

We even had a couple of very nice model boats cruising the waters with Gerry's fishing trawler and Eric's tug boat, that he used to scoop up Michael tip floats that keep falling off.

And I didn't find out until later in the evening that Michael had started float flying before the official start of the event and crashed into the forest to the north of the pond.  I'll let Michael tell the rest of the story.

After all it was a very nice evening of float flying.  Thank you to everyone for coming out and helping make the event a wonderful success!

Michael

I did wait until the float fly started, but no one noticed my crash.

I was flying a delta-shaped airplane, and I lost orientation when it was far north. It crashed into a heavily wooded area, and despite to treks into the forest with 2 different family members, we were unable to find it. In fact, the bush was so dense and there were so many mosquitoes, I told them not to worry and that I didn't mind the loss of the plane.

The next day, David (the owner of the 50 acre estate) told me he went back out on his own to look for the plane, and he found it. I picked it up yesterday (and gave him a bottle of wine, and an offer to help with charity work).

He's an amazing guy!

Michael

Bigstik

In spite of a bit of bad luck, I had a great time at 'the pond' and it's always great to see the guys. I haven't fixed the Icon, but did re-attach the float mount to the PC-6. The Tidewater flew much better after a tip from another Tidewater flyer. Don't know his name but thanks.
Bigstik

Bigstik

Reduced pictures to a manageable size. Had message file too big. Fingers are crossed! Still no good! Bummer!
Bigstik

Bigstik

Bigstik

Papa

Send them to Andy Hoffer and he will put them up for you.

[email protected]

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Andy Hoffer

Here's a link to photos by Alan Biggerstaff.

http://temac.ca/?p=9011

Nice pix Alan.  A beautiful evening on the pond!

Cheers!

Andy