Temac , Saturday Oct 18

Started by pmackenzie, October 18, 2008, 07:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmackenzie

Finally made it out to TEMAC this year[:)]
The field is in great shape, weather was nice, quite a few guys out.
(Most of whom I don't know [:I])

The only down side was when one guy (who shall remain nameless unless he pipes in himself) managed to give himself a nasty cut on his finger.

Ended his day early and was probably worth a few stitches.
Good thing it was a wood prop and not an APC razor blade or it could have been much worse.

Pat MacKenzie

terrabit

It was a great day indeed! Got some nice flights in. Wind was a little shifty at times, but manageable.

I gotta say Pat you are really an awesome flier! If you ever want to take on some students for aerobatic training let me know lol!

What is that green and yellow spitfire-ish looking plane you were flying by the way?

I do hope that a certain person went to the hospital to have his digits looked at!

pmackenzie

The green and yellow plane was my Quick-E.
Basically a Quicky 500 pylon racing plane built for E-power
500 squares,10" chord and 1.25" thick airfoil.
Like most of my stuff, it dates from the age of the NiCd. (Gotta get some new stuff built!)
The original setup was a 16 ounce $7 brush motor from Active surplus and 12 1400SCR batteries.
It was actually a "proof of concept" to see if the motor would work. I wanted to build a Dave Platt Duellist twin using two of the Active motors.
All I ever got built for the Duellist was the wing.
Now the Quick-E  has an Astro 25 Cobalt (brush) motor on 5S A123 packs.

If you want to learn aerobatics I can give you three pieces of advice:

1) Get a sim. I have Aerofly Pro. It will let you crash with zero consequence.

2) Get a flat foamy. It lets you crash with very little consequence. Good ones fly very well, with very pure control response so you can concentrate on what inputs do.
  If you want to do more pattern style than 3D then build a Knuffel from scratch. It flys more like a regular plane than most foamies and can handle a bit of wind.
   http://schnurzz.de/know/knuffel-v2-plan.pdf  (This is the V2. I have the original plans if anyone is interested.)

3) There is a very good book you can buy that will help you learn what to do and why:

http://www.rcpilotguide.com/

Pat MacKenzie