SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Put a tiny amount of "3-in-1" oil on the steel rods. This will ease it and also prevent any rust or corrosion from moisture.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

Good idea Jack ... tried some new fangled silicone lubricants etc and not getting much luck so some good ole old fashioned oil might just be the ticket! 

Anyways, completed the finishing touches to the tail ... which included the curve from the front of the fin onto the top of the fuse. (which btw is one of the characteristics which differentiate this from the Sandringham) As you might have noticed from the full sized pic, that curve actually starts a bit higher on the fin/Vert stab than mine and the slpoe is more gradual but I had to position mine where I have it because of the "break" in my stab to facilitate removal. An inch and a half higher would have been "scale" but oh well ... practicality won out this time!

Also the TE of the rudder in the full size extend waaaay past the TE of the elevators and then flows nicely into that elongated tail cone but I noticed that a little too late to do anything about it.   This results in mine haven't a decidedly more "stumpy" look which annoys me to no end.  >:( You can be sure I'll be paying more attention going forward!  ::)

I also finished the "base deck" below the rudder and the actual tail end of the plane ... which houses my tail light. There's some rounding of that tail piece to be done (its more of a tail cone) but I'll do that in the sheeting stage.   

As you can see I'm using some HYPER High intensity Leds for my nav lights on this project. (another thing I learned from my CL-415 project is which the lights aren't very visible)  These babies will even be seen in BRIGHT sunlight! lol!   

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Quote from: wollins on November 30, 2014, 08:11:20 PM
Also the TE of the rudder in the full size extend waaaay past the TE of the elevators and then flows nicely into that elongated tail cone but I noticed that a little too late to do anything about it.   This results in mine haven't a decidedly more "stumpy" look which annoys me to no end.  Colin

Hmmm ... the more I look at it and think about it the more I'm convinced I have to fix it. After all there is no practical reason for THIS situation. Yes, I've decided ... I will fix it.  :) This means I have to extend the TE of the rudder and rudder base ... and cut off the tail cone in order to elongate it. :o Heck of a lot of work but this OCD thing is hard to ignore.  :'( Oh well. I've said from the get go that I'll try to make this as scale as I possibly can ... and I can certainly make this adjustment. (afterall it's wood we're dealing with here right? ;) ;D)

Colin 
|
|
|

sihinch

Wow, brave call Colin.  I can see what you mean but that's a load more work now! Good for you for staying true to your goal of a scale finish. 

Good luck.

Where did you get your hyper-bright LEDs?

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on December 01, 2014, 08:49:16 AM
Wow, brave call Colin.  I can see what you mean but that's a load more work now! Good for you for staying true to your goal of a scale finish. 

Good luck.

Where did you get your hyper-bright LEDs?

Yeah the reason this happened was I followed the plans.  ;) >:(  ::) The plans have the elevators way back (as opposed to the full size's ele and rudder hinge lines which almost intersect) which is why the rudder is not past the elevators as in the full size. 

Now I know some designers design their planes a certain (none scale) way because they fly better that way and maybe this is the case with Ivan's plans but hey, I'm doing this primarily for looks dammit!  ;D Maybe I'll just disregard these darn plans and build truly from scratch! lol!

Colin.

P.S. The lights are from a source in the UK (British rule! ;)) at http://www.lightingforaeromodellers.co.uk/ If you're gonna order from there make sure you tell Ross I referred ya!
|
|
|

battlestu

thanks for the link.... almost pulled the trigger on a HK set but now it looks like i'll need to look over this site :)

BTW the build is looking great!
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

I am going to the UK for hols and could get them delivered to my Mums and then bring them back. Happy to collect for others (within reason - I'm not ferrying 40 light sets back!)

piker

Good work, Colin.  It's difficult to convert a non-scale design into a more scale design.  It's a lot of work right now but it'll be worth it... really it will   ;D

Michael

I'm also trying to make my plane look scale (from 50 feet away, and up in the air).  ;D
Michael

wollins

Quote from: Michael on December 01, 2014, 12:41:29 PM
I'm also trying to make my plane look scale (from 50 feet away, and up in the air).  ;D

Believe it or not, I envy you.  You don't have OCD.  >:(  ;D

Colin

P/S Done the rudder already.  Should be able to finish the whole "rectification" by this afternoon. Pics are a comin'!

|
|
|

piker

Quote from: Michael on December 01, 2014, 12:41:29 PM

I'll be judging your plane, up and close, while it's sitting on the ground.  There had better be curtains in the windows!

wollins

There!  Isn't that better? :)

Colin
|
|
|

sihinch

wollins

|
|
|

wollins

Anyone know where I can find square CF tube with square holes locally? Couldn't find any at Pinnacle or John's.  Like these http://www.cstsales.com/carbon_sh.html

Colin
|
|
|