SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Got something similar but the space was too tight (maybe an inch tops) even for these type tools.

C
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Ok finished the canopy framing. 

First pic:
Will use strips of electrical tape to outline the frame on a spare canopy.

Second pic:
Canopy frame taped out on a spare canopy - front view.

Third pic:
Canopy frame taped out on a spare canopy - top view.

Fourth pic:
Canopy frame taped out on a spare canopy - side view.

Fifth pic:
Canopy frame now cut out based on the taped outline.

Sixth pic:
Canopy frame painted and ready for installation.

Colin

|
|
|

wollins

Well the fuse is structurally done for the most part. (I have some work to do yet on the bow) As she sits here she is just over four pounds. (67 ounces to be exact. ;)) After I fix the bow I just basically have to "fill and sand" a few more times and she'll be ready for glassing and paint. But I'm not gonna do that now ... after 435 hours I don't want to see this anymore for awhile.  :o Time to move on to the wing.  ;D

I have to say that this is by far the most challenging thing I've ever built since I've been in this hobby.  Almost everything here was a "first" for me.  Many things were done at least a couple times for the sake of "scale".  ::) The compound curves which are all over this fuse kicked my a** good. But despite the beating I got, I'm quite pleased with my effort to match the full size.  I'm especially pleased with how the tail turned out (over and under the H stabs) cause those curves were the hardest. 

I'm also really pleased with how my canopy turned out since vacuum forming etc was completely new to me! Incidentally, as you can see I've also added "cabin" lighting ... had to make some yellow lens to cover my LEDs so as to replicate the incandescent lighting look. Pleased with that as well even though it's not really a practical feature since you'll probably not see that effect in the day. I guess if I fly in the evening at dusk it'll look cool but whatever, I thought it was a nice touch. :)   

Colin
|
|
|

Michael

Michael

Papa

I love those cabin lights.

Excellent job.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

electroflyer

piker

Those lights will be amazing as the sun sets over Frenchman's Bay!

The Solent is looking really great, Colin!  Keep up the good work!

wollins

Thanks guys!  Spent a couple of hours today cleaning up the workshop in preparation for phase two ... the dreaded wing! ;)

C
|
|
|

wollins

To put the size of this beast in perspective, I'm six feet tall.  ;D ;D

C.
|
|
|

Papa

Looks like it was taken from Maya's perspective.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

battlestu

Quote from: wollins on February 18, 2015, 02:49:20 PM
To put the size of this beast in perspective, I'm six feet tall.  ;D ;D

C.

man that is a lot of plane!! well done!!
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

wollins

Guys, when I was making my canopy the only thing I would have done different was to use slightly thicker plastic.  The one I used (the .3mm sheets) from HobbyKing was a wee bit too flexible. It works fine, but I would have preferred something a little more substantial.   

I notice Plastic World has a variety of sizes (http://plasticworld.ca/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_67) however I have no experience shopping with them.  Those of you who have ... do you know if one needs to buy a certain amount ... I just need a few sheets for stock for future use.  :)

Colin
|
|
|

Michael

I have shopped there for as little as $20 or $30.

They also have fiberglass cloth.
Michael

wollins

|
|
|

wollins

Presenting ... the wing! :) Yet another balsa tree had to sacrifice its life for this project. This is the second major wood purchase so far for this plane.  Arden at AJ's said "Wow, what are you building ... a house!?" My answer ... No, a boat ... that flys! ;) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now for my reference ...

The bottom half of the fuse was sheeted with 3/32 balsa and the top half 1/16.  I used 1/32 aircraft ply for the keel.

The wing will use the majority of the wood below that I bought for $160 at A&J's:

Six sheets of 1/16 x 4 x 36 med/hard balsa for center wing sheeting.
Four sheets of 1/16 x 4 x 48 hard balsa for LE to spar sheeting.
Four sheets of 1/16 x 4 x 48 balsa for sheeting/planking the tip floats and nacelles.
Six sheets of 3/32 x 4 x 48 balsa for the ribs.
Two 3/4 x 1/2 x 48 balsa stock for the LE.
One sheet 1/4 x 4x 48 balsa for the TE.
Two sheets 1/4 x 4x 48 balsa for the main and rear spars.
Four sheets 1/4 x 3x 48 balsa for the main and rear spars.
Eight 1/6 x 1/4 x 36 balsa stock for the cap strips.
Two sheets of 3/32 x 6 x 36 balsa for shear webs.
Four 3/16 x 3/16 x 48 bass/spruce/poplar stock for the shear web braces/rails. (top and bottom)

Colin
|
|
|