SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Quote from: piker on April 13, 2015, 11:11:28 AM
Hey Colin!

I've been quiet lately with travelling and other distractions.

I just wanted to say how fantastic your big build is coming along.  Good work, Man!

Thanks! How's that Stranraer coming along? Still gonna maiden next month? ;)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

electroflyer

Colin,

It is really cool to go back and see the progress from the beginning to now. This is a project you should be truly proud of! I can't wait till the big day!

Glenn

piker

Quote from: wollins on April 15, 2015, 12:13:25 AM
Thanks! How's that Stranraer coming along? Still gonna maiden next month? ;)

The Strany is off to the side for a bit while I get my other builds (Red Eagle, SkyWritter, three Morphines, Sandringham, and the Sea Fury) ready for the summer.  Um.  Ya.  May 2nd ain't gonna happen for the Stranraer.

Oh well.  I'll get it done eventually   ;D

wollins

Decided to take a much needed (albeit short) break from wood.  Did a little scale feature on the props. Anti icing strips. :)

Colin
|
|
|

piker

Nice detail!

So... you didn`t mention if you`re still on track for a May 2 test flight... two weeks away...   :)

sihinch

@piker you can't put pressure on if you've decided you Stranraer is a 2016 bird!

piker

I wasn`t putting pressure.  I was asking the same question out of interest...

wollins

Quote from: piker on April 16, 2015, 09:51:55 AM
Nice detail!

So... you didn`t mention if you`re still on track for a May 2 test flight... two weeks away...   :)

Ahem no. :) The adjusted schedule is now May 16th ... depending. ;) lol!  It's scary how many things are left to do ... mostly simple. The thing that's the biggest threat to the "schedule" is the flaps.  You might have noticed that I'm leaving those for the very last.  ;)
|
|
|

piker

Ya.  There are a lot of details in the construction of a big bird like that.

My biggest "to do", before I can start the finishing process, is the interplane struts, cabane struts, and the flying wires.  The flying wires are functional on the Stranraer, so I can't leave them for later like I have on the SE5a.

wollins

Been working on my wing hold down set up. (completely different from the plans of course  ;D) Gap under wing is to accommodate my water seal.

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Wiring for four motors, two flaps, two ailerons and ten lights ... about 9.5ozs. Not bad.  ;D 
|
|
|

wollins

Ok boys, (and girls? :)) ) we are cookin' with gas now! Spent a few hours on Sunday doing my first (of about three) preliminary sanding sessions on the fuse and she's lookin' good!

Just finished framing up the top of the center wing (to merge with the top of the fuse) and will try to get the sheeting done this afternoon.

Goal is to get the outer wings (remember those? lol!) framed up by the weekend so that I have about four days to work on the flaps. (much pondering needs to be done here) 

I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Yay!  If I meet these goals I may just still be able to maiden next month. :)

Colin 

P.S Every plane that I own MUST have a bit of orange on it. Since this plane's scheme has nothing to do with orange, I made my wing bolts orange. lol!
|
|
|

piker

Wow!  Wonderful construction!

Glenn and I were chatting the other day about what a great builder you've become over a short period of time!  Fantastic work!  Keep going!

The first float fly is in a week and a half.  Of course we won't be ready with this year's builds, but we can certainly get out the water bombers.   ;D

Michael

Michael

wollins

Quote from: piker on April 22, 2015, 12:00:14 PM
Glenn and I were chatting the other day about what a great builder you've become over a short period of time!

Thanks guys! Coming from you veteran builders that means a lot.  Rob it's all your fault, I think you've created a monster! lol!

Ok, got the top sheeting done, not my cleanest work, but that's what filler is for right? ;)

Colin
|
|
|