SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Frank v B

Who is this Colin guy I keep reading about? ;D

Hope you can make it out to the field soon.

regards,

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

pmackenzie

electroflyer

Hey Colin,
  It will be great to see you! Are you bringing the Tempest to Warbirds day???

Glenn

wollins

|
|
|

wollins

Quote from: electroflyer on June 13, 2015, 08:37:07 AM
   Hey Colin,
  It will be great to see you! Are you bringing the Tempest to Warbirds day???

Glenn

Hey Glenn, that Typhoon is under a few layers of Solent dust right now so no. ;) But it will be out this season!

Colin
|
|
|

pmackenzie

Another trick from the boat guys- put some grains of rice in any "sealed" area that might get water in it.
The rice will soak it up.

You could go high tech and use those "do not eat" silica gel packets that come with a lot of electronics.

Pat

wollins

Ok for those who might be obsessed with weight savings, I've got some weights for ya.  ;D

Oil based Polyurethane:
1 gram per every 30 square inches.

Sheeting ("regular" as opposed to like contest grade.) "installed". (using wood glue) 
.25 grams per square inch of sheeting.

Paint (2 coats) with primer (3 light coats): (based on Rustoleum rattle can paint and Duplicolor high fill primer)
.06 grams per sq inch.

Colin.

P.S. Last WBPU coat with baby powder on and drying. (makes sanding a pleasure because of the smell. lol!) This evening will do another sanding ... then primer. Tomorrow, filling, sanding and final primer?  :)
|
|
|

wollins

Amazing what a little bit of color makes.  ;D Pictures don't show it but there's a crap load of filling and sanding to do. Ugh ...

Colin 
|
|
|

Michael

Michael

wollins

Quote from: Michael on June 13, 2015, 11:21:43 PM
Wow! Nice!

Thanks but how do you like her now?  ;) Looks like she caught a bad case of mange overnight! lol! Tedious process but we're getting there.

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Quote from: wollins on June 13, 2015, 01:35:34 PM
Last WBPU coat with baby powder on and drying. (makes sanding a pleasure because of the smell. lol!)

Did I use "sanding" and "pleasure" in the same sentence? That smell must have gone to my brain cause NOTHING makes sanding a pleasure.  >:( Oh well ... back to it!  :)

Colin
|
|
|

sihinch

I love sanding with a big coarse sanding block! Hate find sanding.

piker

Hey Colin!  I'm still following and appreciating your fine work and enthusiasm.  My building is on hold now for a while, so I'm enjoying watching you guys move forward.

The retrieval boat is ready when you are!... but we won't need to use it  :)

wollins

Ok, I've spent the last five days on the filling and sanding cycles and I'm hopefully on my last. (fourth) BTW, in some areas I've used DAP fast and final lightweight filler and I don't know if they've changed the formula or what but it's a bi*@h to sand now.  It's like sanding glue! It also does not leave a very smooth finish. I've used it quite a bit in the past and can't recall ever having this problem but I don't think I'll be using it again going forward. 

Anyways was hoping for a fathers day test flight but underestimated this stage. It'll get done when it gets done. :) 

Colin

|
|
|