next Beginner/intermediate build class Wed. Nov 25

Started by Frank v B, November 13, 2015, 07:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

The next build class will be Wednesday Nov 25.  Bring your kits and plans if you wish.  The expert build class people are joining our group and will be promoted immediately to Build Coaches.  Plans for this class:
- Piker will continue to build* his Amptique in front of the class.... since this is probably the only chance he gets to build after he moved.
- I will finish the wing repair.  Planing, sanding, filling the patch.

Note: Bring your kits and/or plans to the meeting.  Even if you do not intend to build during the meeting, at least your coaches can see what you are building so we can answer your questions/posts as you run into trouble during your building time at home.

Frank

* provided Piker is not in the Blowhard Building (wind tunnel) in San Diego  ;D

"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

I'm sorry to say.... I'm back from sunny SD.  I'll be there!   ;D

Ashman001

Hello Frank,

I was wondering if i could substitute wood glue for thick CA?  I have attached a picture of the glue I have...what do you think?

Thank you,

Ash

sihinch

Ash,

Wood glue is very suitable for building balsa kits.  I used it extensively on my Skywriter build.

The biggest difference is that CA sets very quickly.  Wood glue doesn't.  Even the quickest set wood glue.

The glue we used for the Skywriter (Lepage express???) set in about 10-15 minutes.  Thick CA will set in around 1 minute.

piker

Hey Ash.  I wanted to let Frank answer your question to him, but since Frank ignored you, and now Simon has contributed, I figure its a free-for-all....   ;D

As Simon says... that wood glue (and similar glues) are great for building with balsa.  They are an excellent alterative to CA... and are preferred by some people.

But knowing the plane you're building... being all laser cut... I'm wondering why you need thick CA?  Do they recommend it for something?

Here's a general rule of thumb.  For proper structural integrity, it's best to avoid building gaps that require filling with glue.   Glue is heavy and not as strong (ie. efficient at distributing loads) as properly built structure with accurate joints.  Your laser cut kit should provide nothing but accurate, tight joints.

By the way... in answer to your other question from a few weeks ago... regarding how to apply the thin CA to the pre-assembled parts.   A few drops along the seam, where your X's were in the photo, is the way to do it.  The thin CA will wick into the seam and along the length to provide a complete surface bond without too much glue.  Anything more than what is needed will just run under the wood, between your board and the structure you're building, and coat the surface of the wood, making it harder to sand afterwards.

Oh, and that's another point.  CA, compared to "carpenters" glue...  CA is sandable, carpenters glue isn't... as easily...

Ashman001

Thanks guys for your reply.

Even though I have a laser cut kit, the instructions do call for thick glue for certain areas.  I picked up some thick anyway from Pinnacle on Friday as I didn't want to lose the weekend.  As for the gluing itself, yes I learned quickly dabs work best without having too much thin glue bleed through.  But Frank did give me a suggestion to reinforce some of the key joints with medium CA. 

I hope to bring what I've completed so far on Wednesday...got some questions which I'm sure the team can help me with.

Thanks,    :)

Ash 

sihinch

I started my build yesterday!

Wingnutz

Quote from: sihinch on November 23, 2015, 07:02:47 PM
I started my build yesterday!

"Building from a plan. No kit.

Small, 30" English Electric Lightning with a 3S pusher prop.

It's a Tony Nijhuis design from RCM&E"

Simon,
The photo does not look like an English Electric Lightning?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

piker

I'm looking forward to the build class tonight!  I can finally start on my Amptique build!

And I'm looking forward to see what others have started or are planning to build.     :)

electroflyer

Amptique....wow, I remember having one of those. What a cool build!

piker

I won the kit at an EMFSO meeting a whole bunch of years ago, and always felt it would be a nice, simple, casual plane to build and fly.  Figured now would be a great time to build it.  And I plan to put it on "antique" style floats for those calm mornings at the lake   ;D

sihinch

piker

I keep mentioning my plans for float planes... for YOUR benefit  ;D

Andy Hoffer

Rob is just too convincing!  I finally succumbed and got my easy-build foam floater from Michael R at the MAAC swap shop.  Just in time for winter float flying!! Frank will be so envious at the New Year's Day fun fly!!;D