Goldberg Electra Conversion

Started by gordonbw, January 27, 2014, 09:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonbw

Some may remember that I bought Michael's vintage Electra at the last TEMAC fun fly auction. I'm just getting around to modernizing it, so will document the conversion here.

First, Michael did a great job on the build.  After 20 years, everything is tight and straight.  Even the covering is still in perfect shape.

So far, I have removed the old Thrustmaster 550 brushed motor and the standard servo connected to a switch that substituted for an ESC, back in the day.  This has lightened things up by around half a pound.

I've built a new firewall and am working on mounting a SuperTigre .10 in the nose.  A 3s 2200 battery will be relocated from under the wing to the cockpit area ...it will be needed there for balance.  The prop will be a 10x7 folder.

To lighten things further I'll swap out the standard Airtronics rudder and elevator servos for HS81s or equivalent.

Should have twice the power with a lot less weight... We'll see.

Pictures to follow...

Michael

Thanks for complimenting me on the building, but I didn't build it.  ;D

It was donated and I just auctioned it off.

Anyway, I've always liked the Goldberg Electra, and had one for many years and had tons of fun with it.

I look forward to following this thread, and to seeing you enjoy flying it this summer!
Michael

piker

The Electra is a classic!  It was my first electric plane... in 1987, I believe.  Mine initially had the supplied motor on 6 cells, direct drive, fixed 8x4 prop and a servo operated power on/off switch like you describe... and it flew quite well with that modest power system  :)  I build mine with the outer panels removable and I would sometimes fly the plane with those tips left off.  Even then it flew well as more of a sport plane.  One day, I was flying the Electra at my wife's grandmother's house, out in farm country.  As I launched the plane, I accidentally switched off the radio.  Because the motor was controlled by a servo operated switch, the motor stayed on.  I watched as the plane flew away from me, on it's own.  It climbed beautifully in VERY large, gentle circles until the power started to drop off and it glided down on it's own.  I chased it down the road and watched as it flew across the road in front of me and made a perfect landing in the field beside the road.  Good times  ;D

After I wore that glider out, I got a Great Planes Spectra, that I flew for years, then a Great Planes Spirit glider (very similar to the Spectra but a non powered glider that I converted to electric with a geared Astro 05 on 7 cells) in 1997.  I flew that for years until it got pretty ugly looking.  I decided to recover and repower that plane, which I did, then it sat, almost ready to go, in my workshop for a few more years.  Last year, I arranged to meet up with John Werner, at TEMAC, and because he was going to bring out HIS old Electric, that he built in 1991, I got my Spirit ready and we enjoyed some old school electric glider soaring on a calm, Friday evening. 

"Floater" style glider flying is a very relaxing way to enjoy some time at the field.  It can appear completely boring to the on looker, but it's actually quite fun, and a nice change of pace.  And thermal hunting is a whole different type of RC flying that is challenging and rewarding.

Enjoy the conversion, Gordon, and have fun with the Electra in the Spring.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: piker on January 28, 2014, 11:27:10 AM
The Electra is a classic!  It was my first electric plane... in 1987, I believe.  Mine initially had the supplied motor on 6 cells, direct drive, fixed 8x4 prop and a servo operated power on/off switch like you describe... and it flew quite well with that modest power system  :)  I build mine with the outer panels removable and I would sometimes fly the plane with those tips left off.  Even then it flew well as more of a sport plane.  One day, I was flying the Electra at my wife's grandmother's house, out in farm country.  As I launched the plane, I accidentally switched off the radio.  Because the motor was controlled by a servo operated switch, the motor stayed on.  I watched as the plane flew away from me, on it's own.  It climbed beautifully in VERY large, gentle circles until the power started to drop off and it glided down on it's own.  I chased it down the road and watched as it flew across the road in front of me and made a perfect landing in the field beside the road.  Good times  ;D

After I wore that glider out, I got a Great Planes Spectra, that I flew for years, then a Great Planes Spirit glider (very similar to the Spectra but a non powered glider that I converted to electric with a geared Astro 05 on 7 cells) in 1997.  I flew that for years until it got pretty ugly looking.  I decided to recover and repower that plane, which I did, then it sat, almost ready to go, in my workshop for a few more years.  Last year, I arranged to meet up with John Werner, at TEMAC, and because he was going to bring out HIS old Electric, that he built in 1991, I got my Spirit ready and we enjoyed some old school electric glider soaring on a calm, Friday evening. 

"Floater" style glider flying is a very relaxing way to enjoy some time at the field.  It can appear completely boring to the on looker, but it's actually quite fun, and a nice change of pace.  And thermal hunting is a whole different type of RC flying that is challenging and rewarding.

Enjoy the conversion, Gordon, and have fun with the Electra in the Spring.

Why wait till spring?!!  (You knew this was coming!) :D

Andy

piker

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on January 28, 2014, 12:00:11 PM
Why wait till spring?!!  (You knew this was coming!) :D

Andy

;D  I never learn  :)

Andy Hoffer