Flying today?

Started by Ededge2002, April 02, 2012, 10:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

I was a blast with the two mustangs!   There is a some great footage!   I will try to get some stills to upload!   I wonder if tonight is good to go too?  I would like to try the zero again!   Cliff it flies great!   I would reduce the throws.. but that is just me!  lol!

sihinch

Weather permitting, I'll be there at 5pm tonight.  Want to try my new FMS mini P-47 with the motor and esc from the HK funfighter!!!!

If the weather is bad, I'm drinking at Greg C's!!!!  ;D

Ededge2002

when does the drinking start?
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

We did fly! Flew the P-47 and got her dialled in.  Sounds like a bag of spanners, mind, but flew very well!

thehaze

Who's coming out today? May 6th. The conditions are near perfect.

I'll be there around 1pm.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Ededge2002

I'm working feverishly on my full scale cardboard cut out of myself to put behind the lawnmower and other chores. Then I plan on sneaking off to the field!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

If you need an excuse, tell your wife that an emergency session is being held at the field today and if you don't attend you might be forced into buying another, very expensive, plane because of some sort of silly rule change.

sihinch

Not today, but I do plan on being out tomorrow.....Tuesday May 8th!

Winds look OK and hopefully no rain.

Maybe maiden my Spitfire?! ;)

flying saucer

Well the warm weather and moderate winds brought with it the largest turnout of flyers so far this year!

It also made for a ummm...memorable day as lots of great models took to the sky as well as a couple maidens of newly completed models, including my 2164mm wingspan Christen Husky (1/5 scale Graupner kit).

Ronny maidened his Hobbyking 90mm Mig 15, but had an apparent high speed stall shorty after takeoff causing a total loss of control. Not to worry, he has already acquired another one, and I have it on good authority that the next one with be stronger, lighter and faster

The Husky proved to be a handful, but I did manage to bring her in for a soft landing after a few go-arounds.

Chatting with several members afterwards, it appears instead of the recommended 0 degrees of sidethrust, I actually had left-thrust in the motor! It also seems the lateral balance was favouring the left side. This made turning right very difficult, and over-all a real challenge to stay in control.

After addressing this and a few other niggling issues it should be good to go :)

battlestu

had a great time yesterday!!

Ronny sorry to see your Mig go down but good to see you'll have a new one in the air soon!

Jeff the Husky looks like a keeper and can't wait to see her in the air again.

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Gregor77

I was out last nigth and there was no one there?   I am bringing some of the bigger planes tonight if the weather clears.  I don't feel like taking off in the mud.   I have the H9 pawnee ready to go, but my c/g seems a bit nose heavy with a 6S 5000 in the batt comparment.   I need to fix that before I get it going.  Other planes that are ready is the B-17 and the P47 with new props.

Michael

I think the H9 Pawnee is supposed to have a 46 brushless on 4S batteries; maybe that's why your plane is nose heavy.
Michael

thehaze

Quote from: Michael on May 08, 2012, 10:27:10 AM
I think the H9 Pawnee is supposed to have a 46 brushless on 4S batteries; maybe that's why your plane is nose heavy.

Everybody knows that the designers of those models don't know a thing about what kind of power system to use. Plus if you can't get unlimited vertical from a pawnee then what's the point of flying one....  :)

Greg, make sure you're not overloading that plane. You might want to compare the AUW to the spec and see how that changes your wing loading.

sihinch

Quote "You might want to compare the AUW to the spec and see how that changes your wing loading."

Does that make it even faster!  ;D ;D ;D

thehaze

Yes, and it makes the stall speed lower. You do have to slow the model down at some point to land it.