Which glue to use for foam

Started by Bobmic, January 15, 2013, 11:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

So as the topic says which glue are you guys using for main foam surfaces beside hot glue, epoxy and CA.
What do I need to glue the wings elevator etc.?

thehaze

White gorilla glue is pretty good. Also heard good things about foam to foam. Both are easy to get at the local home Depot
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Michael

Even though you say "besides epoxy ... ", I find epoxy is the best glue for Styrofoam.

I scratch each surface with a blade to give the glue something to bite into, and I use as little as needed, depending on weight concerns.

I use 5 minute epoxy on simple joints; 30 minute epoxy on joints that need special care.

Michael

Bobmic

The white gorilla glue does not expand?
Epoxy I know and use, this is why I was asking about other options.

Wingnutz

Bob,
I've scratch and plans built a number foamies and like Michael, I prefer epoxy, especially on larger models. On micros and profiles I use CA but I use 15 or 30 min epoxy for larger models.
I've used Scotch brand spray adhesive and it works fine if you're gluing flat sheets and the joint won't show. I've used Foam to Foam from the LHS as well but it has a tendency to get REALLY thick in the bottle if it sits for any length of time. I dunno if you can thin it or not.

DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

flying saucer

sihinch

Who bought a cougar???? I was just looking at one!

Ededge2002

I was looking at a cougar too but I'm nor positive we were looking at the same thing.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

Cougar - I've heard they're fast, and easy to fly!   ;)

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

sihinch

And I think they have a cheater hole!  ;D

flying saucer

Don't look at me, Bobby's getting a mail order one.

P.S. boy it doesn't take much to get you guys riled up  ;)

flying saucer

Quote from: sihinch on January 16, 2013, 03:52:35 PM
And I think they have a cheater hole!  ;D

No, Bobby is getting the new version, his has intake flaps.

sihinch

Do you know which colour he is getting? Because I may get one too, and I don't want mine to be the same as Bobby's.