Pick your kit to build this winter!

Started by Papa, September 16, 2015, 10:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

We would like to see you do your own research, chose some kits, and then take advice on which choices would be most suitable to your skills and personality.

Post here and the instructors will respond with sound advice and guidance.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

Building from a plan. No kit.

Small, 30" English Electric Lightning with a 3S pusher prop.

It's a Tony Nijhuis design from RCM&E

Andy Hoffer

Wondering if I could sign up for @Frank v B's advanced master class!

Andy

sihinch

No Andy, you don't have the skills to build that!?

battlestu

have a few planes on my hit list but i still need to find the plans or kit

1. Do-335
2. Sea Dart
3. Hughes H-1
4. Something from BoB....from what i saw yesterday Hurricanes, Spitfires, and Bf-109 were well represented ;)

So if any one has a lead on any of these planes/kits feel free to shoot me a message...better yet reply to the post in case some else wants to build it as well.

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

Hey Greg... Are you going to build one during the class?  That would be cool...

Andy.  Make it electric RC and we're talkin'!

AndyC

First time attempt to build my own.  Any recommendations?

AndyC

Wingnutz

Quote from: battlestu on September 16, 2015, 01:07:15 PM

1. Do-335
2. Sea Dart
3. Hughes H-1
4. Something from BoB....from what i saw yesterday Hurricanes, Spitfires, and Bf-109 were well represented ;)

So if any one has a lead on any of these planes/kits feel free to shoot me a message...better yet reply to the post in case some else wants to build it as well.

Greg

Wow Greg,
Your Sea Dart choice intrigues me! Complete with retractable water ski? Such a cool but I think challenging choice...Convair and the U.S. Navy couldn't make it work...hats off to you if you choose this one!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Wingnutz

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on September 16, 2015, 12:38:33 PM
Wondering if I could sign up for @Frank v B's advanced master class!

Andy
Andy,
Since you haven't been to many classes,...
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Frank v B

Greg,

Last winter the Beeton Club did a build class for their own design of a foam Sea Dart.  The photos looked cool.  I will try to get Rudie Nagelmakers to post a few photos (no comments Andy and Jack).  It was electric and would fly off water or grass.  I am sure it can be converted to balsa.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Crazyflyer

Although I may not have the time to attend, Greg your suggestion of the Hughes H-1 is my favourite.

Quote from: battlestu on September 16, 2015, 01:07:15 PM

1. Do-335
2. Sea Dart
3. Hughes H-1

Greg

battlestu

thanks Frank!!

Hi Bill a retractable water ski would be cool but i don't think i have the skill to pull that off... but it does give me something to think about.

Hi Rob yep that is the plan. I was hoping to find a kit of one of those planes since I've never built from plans (ie cut my own ribs, spars, ect..) ... so far I've found a really big ARF Do-335 and i don't think i have the budget for that :)

Hi Stephan... the H-1 is a very cool looking plane ... there is something about it that makes we want to build one :)

I'll keep looking

Thanks
Greg

Papa

AndyC, the objective this year is to teach researching your model so get on the net and find some kits or plans and when you see something you'd like post it and we will comment.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

gordonbw

Two kits in the queue

1) Stevens Aero Groove 480 (straightforward laser cut build-in-your-lap kit, will tackle first)

http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAero-G480-V2-Re-Groove-Electric-RC-Airplane-3D-Pattern-Parkflyer-SAK-G480V2.html

2) Flair Beaufighter (this will be a challenge; the kit requires a fair amount of bashing to update motors to brushless and add landing gear, maybe retractable).  I also plan to use a traditional tissue/dope finish.

http://www.flairmodels.co.uk/Aircraft/Military_Sport_Scale/Militaryframes.htm

battlestu