Electric or Gas

Started by Cambray, July 09, 2007, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambray

The Club I have joined is heavily skewed to gas airplanes.  I'm ready to invest in a trainer but question whether I should not consider electric instead?  I'm not keen about the limitations in using the club's field facilities (which is a necessity with gas) and think an electric craft might give more latitude as to where I can fly?  I want a larger trainer but have been told that electric would cost too much vs. gas in the .40 size plane.  Is electric flight conducive at all to float planes?  Looking for some guidance please.  Can anyone give me a solid argument to start off with electric?  Thanks in advance.  [:)]

wollins

No "hard starts"?

Here are 17 more reasons. [;)] http://www.qnet.com/~skif/e_vs_g.html

Colin.

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'! :)
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Michael

No dirt, no oily mess, no loud noise.

Turn your motor on; turn your motor off; turn your motor on; turn your motor off; in flight, over and over again.

I have electric model airplanes that range from 3 ounces to 16½ pounds.

Batteries can be used in different airplanes.

Have a few charged batteries with you, fly for hours; you don't even need to take a charger to the field.

Virtually no vibrations in your model; radio receiver doesn't have to be protected from vibration.

Michael
Michael

pmackenzie

For a .40 size plane electric or glow you would probably want to fly at a club field.
  Glow might be cheaper initially, but long term electric can be cheaper.

Airframes and motors last a long time with the smooth power of electrics.( unless you crash[:)] )

I have been experimenting with some "cost effective" setups for .40 size planes.
Motor + speed control about $100 purchased from United Hobbies in Hong Kong.
 Dewalt packs containing A123 cells purchased from Ebay.
~$120 will give you 10 cells, enough for 2 packs.
  Charge them in about 20 minutes with a $140 Astro Flight A123 charger.
 This setup in a Sig 4*40 I get about 8-9 minute flights with excellent vertical performance.

Plus the guys that fly electric are nicer than the glow guys[:D]

Pat MacKenzie

glenh

Cambray,

I design and fly both fuel and electric planes, and although I personally prefer fuel planes (I love the noise and smell) electric models have gained a large following over the years. At the 40 size, I think the pros and cons are quite even.

I agree with Pat that at that size, you should be flying at a club, both for safety reasons and for the assistance and training that is available. I would recommend that you see for yourself the two types of flying at an electric and a fuel based club, and talk to the members, before deciding. Either way, it is all about flying and what is right for you.

Glen
Glen
www.gdhplanes.com

Kenvention2

Hi Cambray,

What club did you join and where are you located?

I flew gas powered planes fo 13 years and then switched to electric. It's the best of the two

Even the hobby manufacturers of realize that electric is really popular. Any RC magazine is full of electric plane ads and the local hobby shops stock lots of electric planes and parts.
Hobbico now has the Electistar EP (40 size) trainer. It's the same size and style as the glow version.

As for Electric being good for float planes - it's the best! It's quiet, so you can fly early in the morning or late into the evening and not bother anyone. On a glo plane if you dunk the prop the motor will stall and then you have to go retrieve your plane before it blows down the lake. With an electric you can start your motor right from shore! (if it even stops at all)

http://www.emfso.org/discussions/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=120&cid=5&page=2&pic=ECubonFloats.jpg

Ken

piker

Cambray,

To help with your decision you should come to the Bramalea Electric Fly this Saturday (see the main page of this site for the event listing).  Then you can see all that's involved with electric flight and compare to what the glow flyers have told you.  

Come on out and feel free to ask lots of questions.

Robert

Cambray

I'd like to thank all of you for your thoughtful comments! Robert, I will try to act on your recommendation to visit the Bramalea Electric Fly tomorrow.  Much appreciated. [:)]