Replacement motor for the Apprentice - E-flite BL15

Started by Eric Adventurer, August 01, 2012, 01:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Adventurer

Hi Guys,
My sons apprentice motor is pretty much toast. It seems to be wobbling and touching during a certain point in it's rotation.
Needless to say, Julien was not to happy he couldn't fly anymore on Sunday.
The motor it houses is an e-Flite BL15 Outrunner Motor, 840Kv
Does anyone have a suggestion of a good replacement motor?
The originals are very flimsy but will do for the time being if I can get one cheap.
Also if I you have one of them or an appropriate replacement that you want to sell, please pm me.
Cheers
Eric H.

bfeist

The e-flight motors are usually very sturdy. Take it apart on your workbench, it could just be a bent shaft. Pinnacle or A&J might have new shafts in stock.

If not I suggest going with another e-flight motor from a local hobby store rather than waiting weeks for something from china. Especially since you're grounded :)

Ben

thehaze

The stock motor in the apprentice is like no other eflite motor. The outer case is prone to warping and doing all the things you describe. Honestly I'm not sure why eflite hasn't fixed this issue as it's pretty well documented that the motor has a short life. There is a turnigy replacement but yes as Ben states it's weeks away. If you re looking at a elite motor i would suggest you get the power 15 instead of the direct replacement, as it's both cheaper and more reliable.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

bfeist

Wow I had no idea. And the good Power 15 is cheaper??

thehaze

Shockingly, yes... But not by much. If I was going to lay that kind of $ out for a motor I'd absolutely go with the eflite branded one.

The motors are not exactly the same but close enough. Of course since eflite provides awesome detail on the specs for the Apprentice one it's hard to really say.

Here's the apprentice motor.. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM7215

Here's the regular Power 15 .. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM4015A

The problem with the Apprentice motor is that the casing is made out of recycled pop cans or some sort of similar material. My guess is that it can't handle the stress of repeatedly heated and cooled and will bend easily if it's bashed too hard (which luckily is something learning pilots don't do often  :)). In fact, years ago, the motor on my Apprentice was in the same shape,  the paint was peeling and the can was rusting when I sold it. It still worked but it sounded like a cement mixer. (Don't worry I told the guy who bought it that the motor was crapped).
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Eric Adventurer

Thanks Mike and Ben,
It's great to know.
I was physically comparing the Power 15 in the Stinson and the BL15 of the Apprentice and the BL15 looks a lot more substantial which is why I was hesitating.

I was doing some research and some are suggesting the HK motor below but there is no way I will be waiting for it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4658&Product_Name=KD_36-10XL_Brushless_Outrunner_900Kv

Cheers
Eric

Gregor77

I checked my inv and sorry Eric I am out of stock!   :'(

flying saucer

Eric, if you want to try the Stinson motor send me a message.

Eric Adventurer

Thanks Jeff, I called Horizon and they are sending me a new one.
In the mean time, i took my old motor from my first Apprentice + this one to Pinnacle and Dave noticed that the old one might be salvageable by gluing the can back on the support. It looks like it might do the trick (possibly temporarily).
I will try it and let you know.

Wingnutz

Eric and Julien,
I have replaced two Apprentice BL-15 motors (casualties of learning) with e-flite Power 15's. Conversion requires only a thin spacer (I used 1/8 ply...I think...it was a while ago) to get spinner/prop to cowling clearance. The Power 15 seems more powerful. My Apprentice has over 150 flights on it with 100+ on the Power 15.

DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!