trainer planes

Started by imran1042, October 30, 2012, 04:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehaze

Quote from: Candu on November 03, 2012, 03:43:28 PM
Wondering if that minimum is based on MAAC guidelines or is it a local club/field/instructor based minimum. Also, are non-fixed wing crafts - heli/quad/tri/etc meet that minimum?  Confused.

MAAC basically let's the clubs determine the process for earning wings. With that said, MAAC has been a little behind the times in terms of addressing things like park flyers, quads, FPV, etc. The whole issue is a little bit murky if you ask me.

I'm working on a set of guidelines for TEMAC to address some of these questions and alleviate this confusion. However I can answer at least two of your questions right now.

1. Since we don't have any heli instructors, we aren't currently training on heli's or issuing wings to heli pilots.  However we do allow heli pilots with their wings to fly at TEMAC.

2. The current direction in terms of fixed wing aircraft is only to issue MAAC wings to pilots using aircraft that would be commonly flown in a club environment. This is to maintain the integrity of our program since once a pilot is issued their MAAC wings they are typically accepted at other clubs when members move, or when you attend a fun fly. However we are currently looking at ways to give members who want to fly park flyers or micro aircraft at our club who do not wish to learn on a club sized trainer within the confines of TEMAC only.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Candu

Thanks Mike. What's considered a club sized trainer? Based on a minimum wing span? If so, what is it?  Would a EPP FPV meets the minimum  requirement?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16387

thehaze

Check my first post in the thread.  It should answer your question.

However I'd also add that if this is the type of model you wish to fly,  then don't let its eligibility for maac wings alter your decision. Your only two considerations when choosing a model should be,  can I fly it?  And will i have fun doing so?  The rest is not terribly important.

piker

This is an interesting conversation as it's a new problem associated with the buy and fly aspect of the hobby now.  Back in the day, when everyone had to build their planes, the modeller's flying skills would develop along side their building skills and because there was much more time, effort, and emotion invested in the plane, people automatically (usually) policed their abilities themselves.  Now it has to be the instructors who have to be the bad guys and help new pilots determine their skill levels, for the sake of safety, and the success of the new pilot.  No one wants to see new pilots going out and destroying one after another new plane because they didn't recognize the limits of their abilities.

Interesting...

Robert

Tomahawk

Quote from: piker on November 04, 2012, 12:02:48 AM
This is an interesting conversation as it's a new problem associated with the buy and fly aspect of the hobby now.  Back in the day, when everyone had to build their planes, the modeller's flying skills would develop along side their building skills and because there was much more time, effort, and emotion invested in the plane, people automatically (usually) policed their abilities themselves.  Now it has to be the instructors who have to be the bad guys and help new pilots determine their skill levels, for the sake of safety, and the success of the new pilot.  No one wants to see new pilots going out and destroying one after another new plane because they didn't recognize the limits of their abilities.

Interesting...

Robert

I have to agree.  Our last student showed up at the field with a large EDF jet to first train with.  We a least convinced him that a high wing trainer was the way to go first and he did earn his wings this last year.  I am afraid that it will be more and more common with people buying planes way out of their skill level and try flying them.  I have seen this a few times this last season, where the plane was reduced to kindling.

Chris

Ededge2002

Electric power, good quality bind and fly models and price are having a great affect on the hobby. For those of us that can fly already it's a windfall but I see where the novice could easily be tempted.
I'm positive it will all come through but there are some changes to be made.  Mike and the gang will come up with something. New students please don't think they are holding you back.  You will develop more skills and become a way better pilot with there help and the resources available.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

imran1042

Thanks for the advice everyone, I thought and since the season is over I just got him a champ to fly at the park and he can learn on it and then get another plane when instruction starts again.
Any day at the field is a good day :)

thehaze

The champ is great. Just avoid the temptation to fly it in any wind and he'll do great.

imran1042

I told him not to fly it in winds over 7km/h
Any day at the field is a good day :)