Can Motors

Started by Bigstik, January 07, 2013, 08:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigstik

Read a build article which called for the use of a 600 brushed motor. I know that is old stuff, but what is the equivilent in the new BL designs? Can one use the OD x L to get close to BL selection?

Bigstik
Bigstik

piker

I certainly wouldn't base the brusless motor on the dimensions of the old "can" motor.  You'll end with with multiples of power potential more.

As I recall, the Speed 600's were used on 7 cells and at a MAX. of 30A.  Closer to 20A is more like it as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong guys).  So any motor than can handle 2 cells (Lipo) and 30A would be more than equivilent in power.  Actually, more powerful as the efficiency will go from approx 50% from the Sp600 to 80%+ for the BL.  However, we now have the ability to put much more power with much less weight and for much less cost into our models then we could in the day when we would use Sp600's.  Don't match the motor.  At least double the power for your plane.

Your biggest problem may be nose weight  ;D

Robert

gordonbw

I've got a whole drawer full of brushed can motors.  They were SO powerful, light weight and durable.  I forget -- why did we ever switch?

;)

Bigstik

Thanks guys. Btw Rob, how is the SE5A coming?

Bigstik
Bigstik