A member not following the existing pattern.

Started by Skyking, January 27, 2013, 06:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyking

Ed and were at the field today and couldn't help but notice that when Andy Hoffer was in the air he did not join the existing circuit that we were flying. We were flying counterclockwise and he insisted on flying clockwise. I yelled at him but he ignored me.
This is a basic courtesy at Rogo and Andy blew it.
He also flew behind the flightline and over the pits.

He should be smited verily for this transgression.
Ken
Actually, I can.

Skyking

Actually, I can.

piker

Papa

Now be nice, he has all the money!

I'm sure it was just a mild case of disorientation brought on by
the exuberance of taking moving pictures of his dentists best work!

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

I have to agree!  He seemed to be taunting and teasing too. I don't know why but I could just tell he was.  I also think he was flying some kind of internal combustion engine as well as he was full scale loud.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Wait a second!  IC at TEMAC?!  Say it ain't so!  I bet he wasn't obeying the maximum height rule either!

Papa

I think we should send a complaint to Transport Canada regarding Full Size interfering in our air space.

Wait weren't the Who's down in Whoville playing their flatulators to attract Horton's attention. OH no it
must have been the Stou's down in Stouffville!

Oh well this thread's all gone to Rat S**t now and its all ken's fault.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

Have you all been taking too much medicine?  ;)

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Andy Hoffer

Yes, Sunday was a great day for full-scale FPV!  I orbited over the field with two scale passengers at about 2:05 pm and we saw three most obliging folks out at TEMAC.  We saw one really fast red and white Great Planes Rifle- or Hotliner-like model which showed great restraint and stayed well below us!!  Who could it be??!!   

As for the pattern (???), I'm certain I saw said Hotliner zipping back and forth solo over the field.  And, of course, Hoff-Air (which is always better than full fare) is a full-service charter which aims to please its passengers by giving them the best view possible of TEMAC land-lubbers saluting us with their fingers! With the pilot on the left and passengers on the right, this is best afforded by right-hand circuits at cruising altitude (dutifully 1000 ft above ground level).  This clearly evoked the desired digital gesticulations!  Thanks so much guys.  My passengers loved you! 

We'll have to get Ken outfitted with a handheld VHF transceiver so I can hear him yelling at me - and he can hear my polite responses!!  (Now back to making my list of special people of whom I need to take some really nice photos !!) :D

Cheers!

Andy

flying saucer

I'm glad the passenger were done to scale Andy! The last thing anyone wants to see is a full size plane with passengers not shown to scale, kind of ruins the whole effect..   ;)

Ededge2002

This was the plane I was flying when you were doing your fly over.  I made a point to fly at a reduced level and figure I made my maximum height 200'.  If anything I was below that number I figure.  Do you figure around the same?  Its only a 33" model so it might have looked quite small.  The majority of the flight was lower by a considerable margin ;)  .  How high above the tower were you flying as from the ground it looked like you were flying at a level with the top of it.  It was interesting to have a visual of something flying at a known 1000' altitude to measure against.  whats the wing span and cord as that would help in visual measuring.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Ededge2002 on January 28, 2013, 06:29:43 PM
This was the plane I was flying when you were doing your fly over.  I made a point to fly at a reduced level and figure I made my maximum height 200'.  If anything I was below that number I figure.  Do you figure around the same?  Its only a 33" model so it might have looked quite small.  The majority of the flight was lower by a considerable margin ;)  .  How high above the tower were you flying as from the ground it looked like you were flying at a level with the top of it.  It was interesting to have a visual of something flying at a known 1000' altitude to measure against.  whats the wing span and cord as that would help in visual measuring.
(4.8 ft)

Hi Ed:

Here are the Cessna 172 Specs:
Wing Span 11.00 m (36.1 ft)
Wing Chord 1.5 mWing Area 16.2 m² (174 ft² )
Length 8.28 m (27.2 ft)

I would concur with your estimated max altitude of 200', but most of the time you looked lower than that.  I was flying at about 1000' AGL, well above the tower.  Your perspective would have made the Cessna look lower because I was well west of the tower on the northbound side of my orbits.  We enjoyed your flying by the way!

Andy