FPV

Started by Bigstik, December 18, 2012, 07:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigstik

I've been intrigued by trying to combine my fondness for photography and rc flying. FPV is available but somewhat pricey, and from what i've seen bulky. With the advent of Wi-Fi and newer vid cameras, all one needs is a vid camera and a smart phone.

The newest 'action camera' is the Sony HD-AS15, It is WiFi enabled transmitting to any smart phone. It is the smallest, at 65g of the four, Sony, Contour, Ion Air Pro and JVC GC-XA1 that I've checked out. All are about $300.00

I have a Contour 1080HD which works great but is not Wi-Fi. I have my fingers crossed that Santa is watching and listening.

Bigstik
Bigstik

Ededge2002

far as i know the go-pro is still the benchmark..  but I dont know much about fpv
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Bobmic

Not sure what are you trying to achieve with the Wifi - You will not get a live feed from the plane to your phone. You will need a video transmitter and receiver and you will  only be able to view the live video on a dedicated display not on your phone.
- To combine both passions you should look into an FPV setup equipped with a camera that is mounted on a tilt and pan unit, that way you can shoot from the angle that looks best.

Let me know how it works... I was thinking a bout this route but haven't decided yet.
Good Luck

piker

I'm also starting to get interested in FPV.  Not as much for controlling a plane from that vantage point, although that would be fun to experience, but more for the opportunity to control what is being recored from the plane. 

My understanding and observation so far, it the the GoPro still has the best image when considering, especially, light sesitivity, but I was looking for other options, like the Contour, that are better configured for mounting on a plane (less of a cude shape  :)).  One of my desires is to mount the camera on the top of the fin to get that viewpoint with the plane in the foreground of the image.  I'm also interested in having the camara rotate, and maybe tilt, to get better viewpoints.  I'm starting to consider a specially build, or modified, camara carrier plane.

Robert

Coro-Boy

You missed a great presentation on FPV with hands on demos and various equipment at the Dec EMFSO workshop.

Mirv

Ededge2002

With all due respects Mirv please do not say EMXXO here.   lol   
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Candu

I resisted getting a GoPro for the longest time but I finally got one a few months ago. It provides a live analog video output suitable for FPV purposes and I have replaced my primary FPV camera with the GoPro now.

It's also interesting to note that live analog video feed is also available with the latest version 2 of the 808#16 Key Ring camera. I ordered one but have not had a chance to test it out yet. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808-16-V2-Lens-D-Car-Key-Chain-Micro-Camera-HD-720P-Pocket-Camcorder-/180937263580

I have been using the 808 key ring cameras for aerial and ground video shots and was quit happy with it.  Its price tag ($30 vs GoPro's $300), and light weight mades it ideal for model aircraft application.  But if you compare videos side by side, you can see that GoPro has an advantage.  Here are some videos that I have taken over the past couple of years with the 808 and one video comparing 808 and GoPro.

Warning, these videos are boring.

I used these two video to convince myself that I don't need a GoPro, and I did resist getting one for the longest time.
AR Drone and the Trees

Notice colour shift in this video:
AR Drone - Autumn Colours

Also, 'live' video from the AR Drone is on wifi but there is a slight delay which is not really suitable for FPV (I know most die hard AR Drone pilots may disagree).

And finally, video with the GoPro and an 808#11 mounted side by side for a direct comparison.  Compare details of the tree stump after the quad landed on it.
808 Key Chain Cam vs GoPro Hero2 - Video from Multiwii Quadcopter

piker

Thanks Frank.  I like the three view points in the last video   ;D

I just wish the GoPro wasn't shaped like a brick.

Robert

Candu

Quote from: piker on December 19, 2012, 01:25:54 PM
.... One of my desires is to mount the camera on the top of the fin to get that viewpoint with the plane in the foreground of the image.

Robert

I mounted the 808 on the tail and captured this video a few weeks ago at the TEMAC field. My plan was to have it switchable between the front camera and switch to the tail camera for videoing in tight quarters like floating slowly in between trees in the woods.   

Multiwii Quad - Video from Rear

When I purchase the GoPro, I convinced myself that I can also take it with me when travelling.  I took it with me travelling once and soon realized that it was very awkward to carry around because of its shape. It doesn't fit into any pockets. If I have to carry it in a camera bag, I might as well take my full size SLR camera instead.

sihinch

I just watched these videos now, Frank!  I'm obviously 3 years behind the times with the quad and FPV stuff!  Awesome - thanks for posting.

What do you fly FPV with now?

Skyking

I think Simon had a go pro but it's at the bottom of the pond.
Actually, I can.

Candu

Quote from: sihinch on March 29, 2015, 09:41:34 PM
I just watched these videos now, Frank!  I'm obviously 3 years behind the times with the quad and FPV stuff!  Awesome - thanks for posting.

What do you fly FPV with now?

These days, I use the GoPro and GoPro clone strictly for video recording only. For FPV video feed, I now use a dedicated 600TV line board camera feeding a 5.8Ghz Vtx.