Great Planes P47 Combat

Started by Gregor77, January 11, 2011, 12:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Anyone have any experience with the Great planes combat line?  They seem to have a corsair, Spitefire, P47 and P40.   They appear to be a good size at around 40" ws.   I ordered the P47 as I saw one at a LHS in Florida on my last visit.  I went with a 35-36 Turnigy 1300 kv motor 9x7.5E prop and the standard 40A esc.  With a 3200 3S this plane should move OK.  I read online that some people put retracts on it.  They said that the plane is very fast compared to other P47's out on the market. [;)]

Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.

— Baron Manfred von Richthofen.

Michael

Frank has been flying one for a while (the Spitfire, I think).

It does fly quite fast, but Frank flies it well.

Michael
Michael

Gregor77

I would like to get some feedback from Frank on the set up and some items that I would have to watch for.   It should be here on Friday. [;)]

Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.

battlestu

I'm not sure if Frank watches these boards but you can read about in his blog post on RC groups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1072412

but it looks like he's using an E-flite power 25 and 4S setup
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Gregor77

Well I got the plane last week.   Geeez, that is the worest covering job of an ARF I have ever seen in my life.  It looks melted and is totally wrinkled.   Ron and Dave told me to bring it in and maybe they can fix it.   Worse case send it back to GP.   The rest of the plane looks great!

Gregor77

Hey, is there a way to ad links for pictures?  Anyways, finished the plane in a record 6 hrs... But man it looks good!  I would love to fly beside Glen in the ME109 and do some high speed passes!  This plane is durable and overall I give it a 8 out of 10 as I didn't like the landing gear and the covering was bad!  I am going to run a 30 turnigy motor with a 45 esc. I added a pilot figure and did some minor details here and there.  Is there a good site to find some nose art?

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

terrabit

Hi Gregor..

Its Frank. I have not been very active lately at the field or on the message boards, because my life is upside down... buying houses, selling houses etc. I do plan to remedy that this spring and get back to the field with a vengeance!

I have the Great Planes combat spitfire, and I have to say it flies great. As stated I have overpowered it with a Eflite 25, 4S, a 60amp ESC, and a 10x7 prop and it is really quite a rocket.

Mine really flew well, and was so easy to fly in the air. It would just keep going in a vertical climb as long as you wanted.

The negatives of this plane (in my particular configuration) were that it very quickly became hard to see due to its speed and small size. Dont take your eyes off it.

The other thing was that because its a fairly heavy plane with high wing loading, it comes in VERY hot for landing. I made sure to leave enough battery for at least 3 go arounds because thats what it usually took to bring her in. A lot of headwind helped as well... on still days it was even worse.

Just make sure you build this plane with enough power... dont be afraid to put more than you need in there, because it is built for combat and thus is very heavy.

PS - Hey Greg hows it going?

flying saucer

I saw this plane in person and man she's a beut [:p] but definetely on the heavy side for such a small model, should haul ass in the air!

Gregor77

I am still a bit scared to try this one.. the ones on You Boob are missles in the sky!  :P