Question about BEC or UBEC etc.

Started by Bobmic, December 18, 2012, 06:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

Up until now I bought a number of BEC's from HK - different models but as far as I know all are rated to 3Amp even if some state 5Amp.
From what I have measured this current is more than enough for all my planes but wanted to get some opinions about Turnigy/HK BEC vs other manufacturers.
I like The ESC's I bought from HK up until now and I don't see a reasone to pay 3 times the price on somewhat similar performance from another brand.
However for BEC I might consider spending more within reasone as it is more of safety feature.

Thx.

Ededge2002

I have a Castle Creations 10Amp BEC.  its compact, not over the top expensive and the voltage output is programable.

best of all its available at any local hobby shop.    Never given me any reason to question it.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

I've been buying the Castle BECs lately too.  I only need them in my larger planes where I feel better with the "much more than enough" current output.  The most recent one I just bought is for my SE5a.  The plane will weight about 20lbs, so I want to know my high torque servos can draw the power they need.

For smaler planes I get away with the built on BECs with the ESCs.  I haven't used BECs from HK yet.

Robert