Free Flight Glider Record

Started by gordonbw, December 30, 2012, 11:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonbw

James May of BBC's "Top Gear" is always entertaining.. This video focuses on an attempt to set a distance record for free flight model gliding.  A really enjoyable way to waste an hour....
James May Toy Stories

pmackenzie

Frank v B

I watched both the plane and train videos.  Remarkable!!  Brought back memories of the train set my two brothers and I collected for years.  A huge Marklin layout.  Spent countless hours absorbed in it.  Makes the 10 km train race seem like such a remarkable achievement.

Frank van Beurden
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

I'm actually in the UK at the moment but missed the show! Will have to download when I'm back home.

Did you see the one with the full size Spitfire kit? Made me feel 13 again!

S

gordonbw

Yeah, I watched the Airfix Spitfire video too. Wonderful memories.  I had one of those .. and a Lancaster, a Wellington and lots more.   My father was an RCAF aircraft mechanic in WWII, and he passed on his appreciation for the great British designs. We used to have a table radio that he made out of a broken propeller from an Avro Anson, and a cribbage board fabricated from part of a Hurricane prop.

pmackenzie

I watched the Scalextric (sp?), Airfix, trains, and the glider one.

I will watch more when I have some time. There are lots of them on Youtube.

Great show. I liked watching the gen x/y/z/ whatever kids playing with the airfix models.
And the one kid who did not want to blow up his tank, he could be a modeller  :)

piker

Well, thanks to you guys, I just wasted 2 hours...

But it was entertaining   ;D

Thanks for sharing.

Robert

eric

I've seen a lot of this series but somehow missed that one. Ended up watching the whole thing start to finish. Thanks for posting that!

Eric

Ededge2002

Thank you for posting that. 

I was out flying my glider today trying to stay aloft and having some fun.  Watching this video was a lot of fun and made today even a little more enjoyable after the fact.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?