Eflite 60 and Axi motor repair

Started by electroflyer, June 30, 2019, 11:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electroflyer

Years ago, I purchased an MTM motor which was an AXi knockoff. I had never really used it in an aircraft as the KV was a little low and I was not into flying 6S batteries at that time. Fast forward and I bought a Blue Nose Mustang. I purchased the required Eflite 60 motor and when all the gremlins had been sorted out of that plane it became a good performer, that is until the day two years ago when I was racing along over the corn fields and spotted some unusual items falling from the aircraft(like the spinner and what looked like the propeller). I immediately sensed that the only option was a straight in belly landing and still remember very clearly as I guided the Mustang over the corn and in for an exiting landing on the dried glass clippings. Turns out that the coil pack on the motor had melted and shorted out. It had also damaged the speed controller. Any way, I had the MTM motor and since it was essentially a direct replacement, slid it into the mount and buttoned everything up. Given the lower KV of this motor (370 vs 400), I felt the APC 15 x 12 would be fine. Turns out, I was wrong. Although the motor was fine after my last flight, I had heated the motor up enough to loosen the magnet on the bell housing. I could have glued the magnet and still will, but I decided to try the Eflite bell housing as I still kept the untit for spare parts and low and behold, here is the result!

bfeist

bweaver

@electroflyer I've got an older damaged Warwing motor you could help guide me to repair.  You had mentioned gluing the magnet back on after a combat challenge I had had where I didn't finish in top place.  This motor makes quite a racket but still wants to work. :D