Getting my son (and myself) into RC flying

Started by kingston12twelve, May 27, 2010, 02:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingston12twelve

Hi all,

My 10 year old son has been very interested in everything "airplane" since he was 5. I've decided to pick up a glow plug RC plane for him (and me) to learn on. Seems like it will be a good opportunity to spend some time together and for him to get a little more acquainted with airplanes.

Questions. Are 10 year olds allowed to fly at TEMAC? Can my son and I join TEMAC together and learn to fly taking turns using the one plane? Are there instructors who will take us both on at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Side note: I'm looking at a Nexstar 46 for our trainer.

Michael

Yes, to everything, EXCEPT, TEMAC is an electric-only club.

We do not fly with glow powered engines.

Michael
Michael

kingston12twelve

Papa

Hi TEMAC would welcome anyone to fly however we only fly electric powered models. If you buy a Nexstar electric our Chief Instructor Clair Murray would be glad to advise and assist you to get started. he can be reached by email at: cmurray-at-295-dot-ca.

Jack Higgins
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

terrabit

quote:
Originally posted by kingston12twelve

OK. Thank you.

You should give a serious look to electric powered flight. It's much cleaner and simpler (less hassle, less equipment) and performance can be equal to or greater than glow power.

Prices are great now as well, with cheap batteries available from the orient.

I started electric, so I dont know much about glow, but I seem to be hearing about lots of people converting over these days to electric.

As Papa mentioned, there is an electric version of the Nexstar available.