BUSA Dr-1 1/4 Scale

Started by Gregor77, August 13, 2012, 01:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Here is some of the images.. she is big 70 1/2 WS.

piker

They say the plans can distort (shrink/expand), so perhaps one side stretched more than the other.  For this reason, they keep saying to use the parts at the primary reference (specifically when spacing out the spars and TE/LE).  However, when cutting things to length, the part fit won't help.  Good thing you checked, but I wonder how much 1/8" would really effect a plane this size.  Lateral weight balance will matter more when done.

I made a bit more progress last night.  I have all the ribs and spars / TE in place for one set of wings.  But tonight (when I get home at 11:00) I'll work on my Widgeon so I can try that at the lake tomorrow evening.

I can see this thread becoming very long as we're both rather chatty  ;D

Robert

piker

Cool.  Looks great.  BTW, I don't have any LE sheeting on my wings, other than center section.  Are those 1/4" ribs I see there? 

Robert

Gregor77

They are laminated.  So approx 1/4 now.  There is a box that needs to be made in plywood with two dowls to hold the wing to the bottom of the fuse.

Oh, I called BUSA and Debbie is sending me new plans.. wow what great customer service!!!  A+ 

Here is the plane that I am going to model it after... 

I measured the plans and the spacing around each wing former, they are 3" and the last one is 3 and 1/8th.  So the plan was off on one side.  The rest is fine, but the tail is also effected being off 1/8th.  But the new version is hopefully OK.

piker

Nice.  I'm kind of glad you're not making it red :)

Gregor77

Me too!  There is too many red ones and lots of other very cool colours

No one seems to want to be the underdog!

Gregor77

Well. I am 80% into the wing.  It's looking good.  Spent another two hrs on it.  I have to glue the l.e and then sheet the top portion of the wing.  I should be done the wing this weekend.  Hopefully get started on the center wing by monday.

piker

Did you pull an all nighter?!  Great work.  You'll be done the framing by the beginning of September   ;D

Robert

Madman

Just talked with the guy in our club with the 1/4 Dr.I. It is a Balsa USA. He has had it for many years so it won't be with the latest updates. It weighed 15 lbs when new and runs a 20x6 prop a 5000 rpm. His is coverall and dope.

Stephen

Gregor77

Lower wing done.  Pulled an all nighter. Looks amazing.  All sanded.  The leading edge was a bit of a challenge.  But looks good. 

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

I think he's building it, in his head!  ;)

Gregor77

Well, from my head to the table!   :-\

I got some great sanding blocks in different sizes from PIN.  I am using mix of Flexible CA and think (pink) CA from PIN.  It works well.   

I have lots of sanding to do tonight and I can get started laying out the Mid wing.  I am hoping to have it done by the end of the week.

Wednesday I am heading to Seaton Valley, a member there has a DR-1 and he said that I can take a look at it for reference purposes.  I am excited.  I really would like to see how big this thing is.

bfeist

Those are beefy looking wing ribs! I love the way wood looks before it's covered.

flyboy

Hey Greg,

Once you're done with that one I think I've found you your next build. Let me know if you think this thing would fly with an electric motor instead  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjrPgS-t55s&feature=related