Looking for suggestions....

Started by flyboy, August 20, 2012, 03:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyboy

Starting to consider a second plane (a trainer being my first). Need something fun that will last me a flying season but still manageable  ;D
Maybe something that I could use to try my hand at some stunt flying but still have good scale flight dynamics.

Thanks.

Gregor77

Liked the T-28 from Parkzone.. It was a great flying model and you can be agressive with it!  :o

Gregor77

There are so many good models as a second plane.. But stay with foam!  5-6th plane go with wood.

thehaze

Not sure what your primary trainer was but here are two solid choices:

1. Foam- Parkzone T-28 Trojan. Park sized 480 class foamy. Great flying airplane. Very capable of basic aerobatics, loops, rolls, etc.. If your into this class of airplane you can't go wrong with this one. Available as a BNF and PNP package depending on your radio choice.  http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ4475

2. Balsa- Eflite Advance 25e. Bigger and more powerful than the Trojan. However still a great flying and very predictable model. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL4225

I'd also steer you towards the mini pulse xt but all the ones I've seen at TEMAC have short lives... Damn you McConnville!!!
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

flyboy

Thanks guys.

Anyone have any insights into the PZ P47D? I'm really liking the size and look of the plane but I've not had much luck with tail draggers in the past (Stinson Reliant). I've also seen a couple of Icon A5's at the field and they also look like fun.... Maybe not for aerobatics but I could fly from water!

thehaze

The p47 is pretty similar to the t28 but the landing gear are not as forgiving on the grass. Imho the trojan is a better choice.

The icon is good but not as nimble a the other choices. Also the short wheels make it a pain on the grass, but it would make a terrific float plane.

flying saucer

Yeah you can't go wrong with the T-28. Very stable and predictable, great as an aileron trainer. The P47 is faster and more agile, depends on your skill level.

When you're ready to step up to Balsa, the eflite PT-19 is hard to beat. Some say it flies even better than the PZ Trojan. I recommended it to Bert, I think he's smitten with it :)

bfeist

I really like the look of that Eflite Advance 25e. It's fun and aerobatic but also still fun and stable to do circuits with.

thehaze

Simon Chapman has/ had one. I looked like a really nice flyer. And the price is cheap for a model that size.

flyboy

Mike,

Which plane are you reffering to, the Eflite Advance 25e?

thehaze

flyboy

Wow,

So many planes and so little time  :'(

thehaze

We warned you.. It's a disease. There is no cure.

flyboy

OK,

I've settled on a plane! We'll need a longer runway though and maybe some runway lights...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAiG1Y2ahMk&feature=related