Sig 1/5 Piper Cub J3 converted to Super Cub

Started by sts41, September 21, 2012, 11:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

You can make blocks with a shaped groove to match a leading edge. If you sand with a flat block you can get uneven sanding whereas with a shaped block you can only take off as much as the shape dictates.

jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

Hey Steve!  Any progress on the Cub?

Robert

sts41

I had been working on the Yak... But here is where I am at with the Cub..

I have built all the tail feathers and I am currently working on the Right Wing assembly.

It looks like it is going to take about 2 weeks for each wing. I have a little under 1 week on this one. If the weather stays this cold...Currently -35 with wind chill... I may get lots done over the weekend...I also took 2 days off after Superbowl weekend just for relaxing and building.  8)

Here is the pic so far:

Hopefully I can get all the Hardware bought... If so, I have more than enough time to get her done before we leave for Toronto...  ;D  But can I get the Cub and the Yak, and the P51 and the Syncro all in the wooden box... That is going to be the trick  ;)

Steve

piker

Loking great, Steve!

Keep at it.  Warmer flying weather will be here before we know it.

When do you head West again?

Keep warm out there!

Robert

sts41

sts41

Update... So I came across some funds that were just sitting there doing nothing :) I have ordered the last of the big parts, so this puppy will be completed for this season.  8)

I have a great weekend coming up...will try and get lot's done.

My local Napa can match a color with a color match computer and mix me a spray bomb for the cowl.

Then there is just a few small items and we will be flying.

I will update with some pics after the weekend.

Steve

Michael

Terrific!

This is a great model airplane and I'm looking forward to seeing another Cub fill the TEMAC sky.
Michael

sts41

As long as it is Flying in the sky...and not crumpled on the ground  :P

I had forgotten how much work goes into building one of these... I'm having fun, but man there is a lot of details...

So the power system will be a Electrifly Rimfire .80 motor:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWV7

Swinging a 14X8 wooden prop. Can easily handle a 15X8 for floats.

This will give me about 142 onces of thrust for a plane that weighs in at about 144 onces. Just under a 1:1 ratio. The motor is a 500 KV so prop should have a max RPM of about 8500, and run at about 45 Amps and 800 Watts.

A Pheonix ICE 75 ESC:

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix_ice.html

and a 5S 5000 battery, which should give me about 10 to 15 minutes of flight time.

This setup should run nice and cool even on the hottest days since nothing is being overworked.

For the servos... I have 4 of these monsters:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14830

They are so smooth and it will all be controlled by a Futaba R6008HS receiver.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWVF5

I have ordered the Robart 1/5 scale Cub landing gear and the Du-bro wheels with Cub wheel covers. And a tru Turn Prop nut for that little extra something....Other than that...I will be going with the standard Cub yellow with black accents.

I will leave the cockpit empty for this year... Next year I will do a bunch of work on that.

Steve

sts41

Ok...Job is coming along great...Need some advice from the Cub owners. Like most, this is designed for a gas engine. The area where the fuel tank goes is where the battery will be positioned...

What do you use to hold down the battery?

Since there is little room above the battery, velcro would be tough to both install and remove the battery. There is a fair amount of room on both sides, so larger batteries will be fine in the future. And there isn't much room for my big hands and a velcro strap.

I was thinking maybe velcro at the end of the battery and just one strap along the back... This is not an aerobatic plane... Shouldn't be a lot of force on the battery.

If anyone has any ideas....I am working on the body and it will be a few more days before I get there.

Thanks Steve

Michael

When I built mine, I needed nose weight, so I cut a large hole in the firewall, and extended a battery tray underneath the motor.

I was only using a 46-size motor and a 4-cell battery pack.

Since I was not planning on doing any aerobatics, I simply used velcro on the battery and battery tray, and the used the scale door instead of a hatch.

Michael

sts41

Hi All... work is going great. Still waiting for the motor, can't complete the nose without it. I have decided to make the "Nose Bottom" which is made of plywood, to be removable rather than glued in place. I will make a mount on there and secure the ESC in that spot..8 screws will hold it in place, and it can be removed if service to the ESC is needed.

Steve

sihinch

Looking really, really nice, Steve!  I'm jealous.  :'(

sts41

First Piece to get it's skin.... :P

The Ultracote is not tacky like the Monokote... But it does stick nicely once the heat is applied...

I guess Ultracote it will be....  ;D

Steve

piker

sts41

It actually works and locks the door closed...