Balsa USA Eindecker 40 Build Log

Started by gordonbw, September 25, 2012, 06:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonbw

Covering is all done!  Next... finish connecting linkages, install radio and start detailing.  I'll do the insignia first, then the machine gun, flying wires, windshield, cockpit coaming, and dummy engine.

wollins

Gordon, I really like how that cowling etc turned out ... amazing job!

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Michael

It's all nice, but that brushed metal look is just fantastic!
Michael

Madman

Guys

Happy new year to you and yours. The crosses are from the guy who cut my short kit of the Sterling Fledgling. I don't know if he used a vinyl cutter or a laser cutter but they are Oracover/Ultracote so are nice and thin. They are just a little off the early war design but close enough. Great work improving on the HK rip off of the Aces of Iron figure. Ben wants that for his pilot and I will buy from AOI myself.

Yes, we would both love to stop by more for some fun. And please drop by KMAC anytime for a visit.

Gordon you have nothing to 'up' on your build is great. I used Oracover/Ultracote throughout. I will use a little Testors dullcote on the 'fabric' areas at some point. Note, however that WWI finishes were very glossy. All you have to do is see pictures of the era with the light at the right angle and it is amazing how much gloss those finishes had. I am not very much further along than you, just radio install and markings. Note the MG of the era (early war) is a little different than the Williams brother's standard kit. Although way off scale the span on this kit makes it about 1/6 for the Pfalz E.I so standard Williams Brother's 1/6 scale equipment is the order of the day! The Fokker E.III would be more 1/7 but who cares!

Here is a clipped shot I found quickly on-line of the LMG08 (as opposed to the LMG08/15). It shows how the back is square with the top and not cut down like on the /15. I don't know about other differences off hand. I have a mini datafile on the guns and either will modify accordingly or build a very simple wooden replacement. What on earth they were using for the basis of what is in my kit god only knows! In my case it only has to look good 10 ft. away.

Stephen

Gregor77

I guess. You are the winner. First plane covered in 2013!  Great work.  Looks amazing. 

Gregor77

gordonbw

I have not balanced it properly yet (just finger tests) but I'm concerned it's gonna be nose heavy with the battery I am planning to use.  Surprise, surprise!

Gregor77

If that is the case. Maybe get a g32?  Reduce the weight?

gordonbw

I think I'm going to call it finished.  I was going to add a Williams Brothers machine gun, but the plastic kit is just too fragile to stand up to transportation.  As well,  the dummy engine I bought will not fit under the cowl.

Nevertheless, even without those final fluffs, it looks rather nice.

Michael

Really nice!

I especially like the 'flying wires'.
Michael

sihinch

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

wollins

REALLY sharp Gordon! I really like how the cowl etc (silver parts) turned out.

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Gregor77

Papa

Congratulations, that's a beautiful job. Well done!

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"