BUSA SE5a, etc. Build

Started by piker, October 01, 2012, 11:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

I noticed and was surprised by that too.

What colour Solartex did you use on your Bristol?

Gordon's covering looks transparent too.  I used "Antique", which is supposed to represent doped canvas.

edit...  Found the answer I think.  There's Linen and Antique.  Linen is opaque and Antique is translucent.  Perhaps linen would have been better for my SE5a, but.... whatever  ;D 

I kinda like showing off a bit of the structure   :)

gordonbw

I used Antique Worldtex for the EIII. It's translucent.  There's also an opaque version in the same colour called "Linen". http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748801

piker

O.K.  So, all the covering is applied to the SE5a, and I'm happy with it at this point.  However, I need to "cover" the forward area of the fuselage, which would be the cowl on other aircraft.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking for a simple, yet, convincing way to do this.  I've pretty much settled on Jack's suggestion of applying aluminum tape to stabilize the grain of the wood and give a smooth, metal looking surface to paint on.  I also like the idea of the opportunity to leave some panel line spaces between the tape and some "weathering".  But the problem I'm having now, is getting the latex paint that I had matched to the covering, on the test pieces nicely.  brushing won't do, and my airbrush that I've had for years, still sucks! even though I determined a good thinning ratio tonight.  The flow is just too fine to get the paint on wet and evenly covered as needed.

I can get a beautiful coverage with Krylon spray paint cans, but I can't get the correct colour.

This leads me to my next plan.  I've been looking for an excuse to buy a compressed air spray gun for years now.  They're not too expensive, so I'm going to pick one up tomorrow.  I'll let you know how THAT works out   :)

piker

Well, I said I'd let you know how the new spray gun went. 

HOLY CRAP!  I could paint my entire house in 5 minutes with that thing!  I went from not having enough paint flow to WAY more than I need, but, I was able to adjust the flow rate way down to a point where I'm getting a nice flow for the type of painting I want to do. 

Which brings me to what I'd like to have.  The thing I like about the airbrush is the very delicate (thin) layer of paint it applies.  I feel like I have complete control over the amount of paint I apply.  The problem is, it's too little.  Lacquer spray cans spray way to much and tend to apply a really thick coat that is almost guaranteed to run.  I really like the way the Krylon paint applies (from a spray can) but the colours are limited and even that spay is a bit much at times.  Well, it seems I have the best control I can get with this spray gun.  I guess the only drawback is the support equipment needed (compressor, etc) and the need for cleaning... although that's not difficult.

So, there you have it.  I know this is probably old news for people who spray cars, etc., but it's a new tool for me that I'm quite excited about.

Hmmm.... I wonder what else I can paint.  Is it time for a new paint job on my truck?    ;D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: piker on January 22, 2013, 12:03:44 AM
Well, I said I'd let you know how the new spray gun went. 

HOLY CRAP!  I could paint my entire house in 5 minutes with that thing!  I went from not having enough paint flow to WAY more than I need, but, I was able to adjust the flow rate way down to a point where I'm getting a nice flow for the type of painting I want to do. 

Which brings me to what I'd like to have.  The thing I like about the airbrush is the very delicate (thin) layer of paint it applies.  I feel like I have complete control over the amount of paint I apply.  The problem is, it's too little.  Lacquer spray cans spray way to much and tend to apply a really thick coat that is almost guaranteed to run.  I really like the way the Krylon paint applies (from a spray can) but the colours are limited and even that spay is a bit much at times.  Well, it seems I have the best control I can get with this spray gun.  I guess the only drawback is the support equipment needed (compressor, etc) and the need for cleaning... although that's not difficult.

So, there you have it.  I know this is probably old news for people who spray cars, etc., but it's a new tool for me that I'm quite excited about.

Hmmm.... I wonder what else I can paint.  Is it time for a new paint job on my truck?    ;D

Show us photos and specs for your new spraying rig.  Also, what are you using for your airbrush and how for how big an area do you find it unsuitable?  I have a double-action Paasche which works beautifully, but does not have a high application rate. 

Andy

piker

I'll be the first to admit that the cheap airbrash I have is probably not the best, but for general spray application (not art work) I fugured it would do, for the amount of spraying I do.  But, as I've said, although the flow is nice, it's not enough for the kind of coverage I wee need for RC planes.  It would be great for plastic display models.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/201_1103/products_id/113286/n/Aztek-A320-Workhorse-Airbrush-Kit

So I got this:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/gravity-feed-spray-gun/996376

The 5 minute test I dud last night before beddy time, showed that I can certainly get anough paint out of the thing, but the control is really nice too.

So perhaps there's a place for both spray guns.  The big one for overall application, and the small airbrush for detail work, like when I paint  the machine guns for the plane

wollins

Hey Rob, that's exactly the kind of "looking" gun I had been researching in the not too distant past ... only I was doing HVLP (High volume low pressure?) ones but had gotten the impression (cant remember now) that it may not be the best for RC application. 

However yours seems to be "normal" but with more flow which is what I too have been looking for. (I had a b%#*h of a time doing the Typhoon with my itty bitty airbrush. Talk about a painstaking process ... thank goodness t came out perfectly "acceptable" despite the hundreds of back and forth quarter inch strokes! lol!  Would love to see your new gun in action!

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

piker

I was considering the HVLP (High Volume, Low Pressure) gun too (as it was recommended), but figured it wouldn't work with my small compressor 'cause I assumed the "high Volume" was referring to the required airflow.  But I asked a question and apparently the "High Volume" refers to paint flow, which I certainly didn't need for painting models.  I'm happy with what I got even though my compressor has to turn on quite a bit to provide the volume of air necessary, but I figure I could cover a whole plane in about 30 seconds, if needed, so who cares   ;D

As I said, I only had time for a quick test blow last night (hey! no dirty jokes!), but I'm impressed so far.  You can borrow it if you like.

BTW, I thinned the latex paint at a 3:1 (paint to water) ratio with a few squirts of windex for good measure.  Sprayed well and seemed to cover well.

sihinch

How can we have "quick test blow" "latex" and a "few squirts" and not make a joke?!

Weirdo!  ;D

piker

Ya couldn't resist, could ya?!!!

So, as a result of Greg's harsh criticism, I've decided to NOT use foil tape for a base for painting on the SE5a, but rather fibre-glass and fill.  At least that's my plan as of tonight.  BUT, I wanted to make sure my old epoxy is still O.K. so I mixed up a bit to let it cure overnight.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to work on it tomorrow (wednesday) night because there's some meeting going on.

So, while I was waiting to see how the epoxy cured, I did some covering on the Water Bomber, since my workshop is relatively dust free right now.

Anyway....

piker

Finally got around to glassing the forward fuselage on the SE5a tonight.  That should keep Cadez happy.  No short cuts, eh?

piker

I'm moving along on the covering for my Water Bomber as I give the epoxy, on the SE5a, another day to cure (it's a very long working time epoxy, so takes a long time to cure fully).  I plan on sanding then applying a filler coat of primer to the glassed SE5a tonight.

The covering job on the Water Bomber is not going as well as I'd like.  I guess it looks O.K., but with a sub-par surface underneith, it's impossible to do a perfect covering job.  Oh well, I never planned on it being like brand new.  Just a bit prettier than before the refurbishment so I can get it back in the seaplane fleet.  I'm actually more excited about having the Water Bomber flying again, with it's new covering and power system, than the SE5a.

piker

Progress on the SE5a has been slow over the past week or so, but I'm still moving ahead.  No pictures yet as there's not much to look at.  Currently the fuselage is sitting on the bench wrapped in a clear plastic bag, to protect the rear part previously covered with Solartex, and masking tape and paper, to close in the openings in the forward section.  The remaining exposed areas are covered with grey, high build, primer sprayed over the fibreglassed forward section.  It took me two evenings just to get the masking tape/paper/plastic applied before I could prme (there were a lot of open sections to mask over).

Tonight I'll sand the primer and add some spot filler to fine tune the surface before final priming and paint.

wollins

Are you gonna paint with the new gun?
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

piker

Sure am!  Hopefully Saturday.

Sand and fill tonight, sand and prime tomorrow night, sand and paint on Saturday... I hope.