FlyFly Hawker Hunter

Started by sihinch, November 10, 2012, 12:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

A few weeks ago, I found out that my Grandad was stationed overseas in the 1960s with the RAF, and worked on Hawker Hunters. So, I bought one!

Today, I just collected the FlyFly 90mm EDF Hawker Hunter from the post office.  This isn't mine, but you get the idea.....

FlyFly Hawker Hunter 125MPH

I'm going to use the HobbyKing 90mm DPS 1900kV fan & motor, running on 6S 5000mAh lipo.  Stay tuned for my buiild progress......

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17223__Alloy_DPS_Series_90mm_EDF_unit_with_1900kv_Motor_1750watt.html

Simon

Wingnutz

Simon,
I await your build thread with real interest!
I am still struggling to find the right motor/ESC/fan/battery combination for my Fly Fly F-86 which I bought over a year ago and still haven't really started. So far I've blown up one DLuxe 100A ESC, one Changesun 90mm fan (I was able to re-assemble it) and discarded one cheap HK motor which is rated for a maximum 60A. (Don't think it's gonna survive on 6S!)
Like you I'm gonna try 6S as the battery compartment on the F-86 has limited space and I don't think 8S will fit. I have two 3S 4500  Nanos slotted for this model.
Just took delivery of HK's 90mm alloy EDF fan/motor unit for 6S, so as soon as I finish my current EDF project (27mm) I'll get back to the Sabre.
Are you planning retracts or a bungee or Ronnie's arm to launch? I've bought some of HK's inexpensive electric retracts but haven't figgered out how to make the nose gear steer (E-flite maybe?) yet.
Hope your build is a great one!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

Hi Bill,

Good luck with the F-86.  We should both try to have the FlyFly models finished by next jets day, to fly alongside Michaels FlyFly Hawk!

I have found a build thread on RC Groups for the Hunter, and some people are saying the E-Flite 15-25 retracts are a good fit.  I think I will start with the retract route, but I want to do a bit more reading and some research in to suitable units.  I may just go HK units, because at $8 each, even if they don't work for too long, you can drop another unit in and still have plenty of $ from the price of the E-Flite ones!  Shame, but true.

S

flying saucer

Good luck on the projects fellas. I think the key with foam jets in the 90mm class is to keep them as light as possible, so running a 6S power system is a good idea. The only problem is getting a comfortable level of power.

Simon, you may want to go with a different fan unit, I think with that one you will have marginal performance at best, (I have a feeling the 3.0kg thrust rating is a bit inflated) and taking off from the grass may be difficult without a strong headwind. In the video, they used an 8S setup with about 2600watts. It flew nicely, probably 90mph or so.

PS I have this fan on the way, it should be here next week:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__27560__Alloy_DPS_Series_90mm_12_Blade_EDF_unit_with_1000kv_Motor_4000watt_10s_.html

Thinking of this as a possible airframe for it :)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15524__F_18_EDF_90mm_Jet_Fiberglass_920mm_ARF_.html

wollins

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

flying saucer

Good choice, I hear they fly well. What power system you putting in?

wollins

Not sure yet ... loving the DPS HK units cause they look to be of good quality and priced right but they sure are heavy! :(  My understanding (based on following the L-59 thread) is that 549 grams is too heavy a fan unit (fan and motor) for proper CG for this bird so anything that I get will have to be below that.

I do love the aluminium fans because of the cooling capabilities and rigidity but the sacrifice is weight.  In any event will definitley be a high count blade fan!  ;D  Like the looks of the new JetFan units but they are pricey!  Even though they're only 9 blade fans man do they sound like the real thing! Choices, choices.  >:( ;D

The good thing though is that at the rate these new fan units are coming out from different vendors/manufacturers we should have an even broader range to choose from by next season.

Colin
|
|
|

flying saucer

wollins

|
|
|

sihinch

Quote from: flying saucer on November 15, 2012, 11:15:23 PM
Who needs aluminum when you can have mercury!  ;)

Note the weight.

The weight of the mercury fan is actually heavier than the 90mm DPS unit.....

wollins

Actually the whole complete unit (fan, motor etc) is not.  ;) Mercury unit is 435grms and the DPS one is 657.  My goal was to find something in this power range (3000w or so) for less than 550grms (for the L-59) so the Mercury one sure looks like a winner at this point. DPS seems a bit more powerfull at a much netter price, pity its so much heavier. In any event, because these are coming out so fast that I can afford to wait until closer to spring to make my final decision!  ;D   

BTW Simon, my apologies if I'm detracting from your thread with all of this ...

Colin
|
|
|

sihinch

The DPS 90mm fan that I have is the 6S version, and is only 424g

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=17223

Not in your 3000 watt range, though.

S

flying saucer

Quote from: sihinch on November 16, 2012, 07:51:26 AM
Quote from: flying saucer on November 15, 2012, 11:15:23 PM
Who needs aluminum when you can have mercury!  ;)

Note the weight.

The weight of the mercury fan is actually heavier than the 90mm DPS unit.....

We are comparing 12 blade to 12 blade Simon. The 5 blade units are typically lighter because they have different motor requirements.

For example this 6S 90mm DPS unit:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28499__12_Blade_Alloy_DPS_90mm_EDF_unit_6s_1620kv_2250watt.html

Wingnutz

Can't help but chime in with my 2 cents worth.
I'm trying to build my 90mm FlyFly so it can be handlaunched at Rogo. As Jeff said way back this means keeping it light. I also want that whooshy sound the 12 bladers make and thus my choice of 6S and the 600g HK EDF Jeff referenced in his last post. (I've already blown up one 100A ESC, one CS 12 blade 90mm fan and discarded a cheap HK motor which wasn't gonna last so a matched, balanced 6S EDF unit looked pretty attractive)
I'm actually putting the retract mounts in (spent most today building the nose retract mount so I can put an E-flite 25-46 electric retract in) but will leave the retracts out until I have a paved runway...watching Ronnie handlaunch his F-16 and watching the guys on the RCGroups 90mm Sabre thread handlaunch has convinced me.
There are lots of ways to power a model. Time will tell if all or any of us got it right!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Bobmic

Quote from: flying saucer on November 11, 2012, 08:35:24 PM
Good choice, I hear they fly well. What power system you putting in?

Hi Colin,

I was looking at this plane for quite a while but was worried about taking of and landing from our field -do you think this will be an issue?
How big are the wheels and what batteries are you planning to use for the plane?

Thanks,
Bobby