HK Orange receivers use them or ditch them ?

Started by Bobmic, January 03, 2013, 01:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

I know this is a can of worms filled with speculations but for the past two years I read many opinios about the DSM2 Orange and Spektrum receivers and have used quite a few orange ones with good results. Everything I read included some experiments and but nothing concrete - as of Good or No Good!
To date I have used quite a few orange receivers all with Satelites 6,7 and 9 channels with no problems. Had one plane that I lost radio control but I don't know if the battery was at fault or the Rx as it burned..
Is it realy worth spending $70-$100 per Spektrum Rx compared to a third of this for Orange ones? Replacing all of them will be expensive as I will need 6 additional receivers :(
I know that some will tell me to move away from DSM2 and maybe use the FrySky or even Futaba but I have a JR9503 that I realy like and it does not have a module so I am stuck with the Spektrum 2.4 for now.
To add to the confusion I've seen the report bellow, and another one that said the opposite...

http://forum.rc-airplane-world.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3497

Maybe I should post this one on RC Groups and get confused even more :)

Thx
Bobby

thehaze

I don't think that there's an easy answer to the "which is better?" question.

My guess is that there's little noticable difference between the two. However, original Spektrum receivers do come with the benefit of some sort of warranty (or at least one you can count on) and a reasonable guarantee of consistent quality. However the price differences are hard to swallow at times. However, I suppose the price can be attributed to Spektrum's (Horizon Hobby) higher operating costs for items such as R&D, marketing, and distribution. None of this applies to HK really, or if it does it's a fraction of what Spektrum is paying.

As for what to do. I'd go with the if it ain't broke... principle. However personally, I like to use Spektrum gear on planes that either have a high replacement cost, or when the consequences of failure could potentially cause injury or loss (i.e. Racing, or high speed aircraft)  But that's just me. Oh BTW I do have a few Orange RX's and never had a problem with any of them.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Wingnutz

Agree with Mike about never having had a problem with an Orange and I have nearly 20 models equipped with them. I've had worse luck with Spektrum rx's having lost three models to faulty AR500's, which used to cost eight times the price of a DSM2 compatible Orange 6ch!
Spektrum 6115's, 6200's, 8000's have never given me a problem, but they're pricey!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Ededge2002

I own some but not a lot of spectrum equipment. I also have a couple orange rx's. I've not had troubles with any of it.  Do I trust spectrum or orange?  No. You might have noticed that on anything I have safety concerns about I use 72!!  I'm planning on moving to FAST for next season because of its reputation in the types of planes I fly.  FrSky is also an option but I would like to go to a full 2.4 radio over a module based one.  The stories of spectrum failing with high carbon/power airframes are just too much to overlook.    Just my opinion
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

Quote from: Wingnutz on January 03, 2013, 05:42:14 PM
Agree with Mike about never having had a problem with an Orange and I have nearly 20 models equipped with them. I've had worse luck with Spektrum rx's having lost three models to faulty AR500's, which used to cost eight times the price of a DSM2 compatible Orange 6ch!
Spektrum 6115's, 6200's, 8000's have never given me a problem, but they're pricey!

The AR500 was the bad seed of the spektrum bunch.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Ededge2002

Spectrum should be ashamed. They have to have had a dozen recalls in the few short years since its introduction.

Bobmic

If you go with FASST I guess you are planning to change your Transmitter and all your receivers ... doesn't sound to cheap :(
I noticed that HK are selling antenna extensions and my understanding that these are good to move the active part of the antenna away from Electrical interference Carbon.
I read only good things about FrySky and I know a couple of guys that are using them, its also nice that they have telemetry incorporated in the receivers with an optional display for the Tx.

Ededge2002

Yes I'm looking at changing transmitters. I could go module based FAST as I fly Futaba but the other gains like airplane recognition do not work with that system.  Its a painful choice but the F5 type of planes incompatibility with Spectrum limits the choices.  Although I'm still quite happy with PCM72!

pmackenzie

Airtronics SD10G has a few things going for it:

-  Not Spektrum  ;D
- Has model match, just done a bit differently that Spek.
- Excellent glider programming
- Good RF link
- Lowest latency system out there - 9 msec with FSS3 receivers. (Only good with digital servos. For Analog use FSS1 receivers)

Down side is fairly expensive receivers.

My brother Ivan uses the Airtronics.

I use my XP9303 with FrSky module for my gliders. Receivers are less than 1/3 the price, and it also has an excellent reputation RF wise. Never had any issue.

Non-glider mainly get X9303 2.4 Spektrum.Also never had a glitch, but I just don't trust it in sailplanes. Plus the sailplane suitable receivers are very expensive.

Pat MacKenzie

Wingnutz

Bashed Spektrum's AR500 in an earlier post but neglected to mention I now have a Radian Pro with an AR600 which I think is an updated AR500. I've had one in-flight loss of connection (sorry, I dunno the proper term) with this radio, but since the glider was up pretty high, I had some time and was able to re-establish the connection with a simple tx off-on. Other flights with this rx have been normal.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Gregor77

I have orange in anything smaller than a 60 size plane...  Doesn't make sense after hundreds of flights.. I had one "fail", but it was due to the ESC being over loaded.   I had one fail on the bench, but it might have been me monkeying around with SBEC's and ESC at the time and the light went dim and I lost all connection.  But for $5, it can go in the bin.

The larger planes I will use the CC SBEC and usually an AR6000.   

I do admit for example the H9 Camel that I flew a few times last year had a orange with Sat and I had no issues at all.. but that has a good CC SBEC to be on the safe side. 

I find it's no that we are losing bind, it generally maybe that the ESC's are not providing enough power to the RX.

Bobmic

What is the difference with Gliders? Not talking about the Carbon fiber ones but fiberglass Gliders.
I have the ASK21 EP Glider 2600mm Fiberglass from HK that I need to start working on, it will not be too fast and I am not planning any FPV distances.
Is there anything I need to be worried about?
I do have a Futaba 8UHPS 72Mhz PCM radio but would prefer to keep use my JR if possible.

Thx

flying saucer

I don't think there is any difference with gliders, or sport planes or jets for that matter. I'm running a 6ch orange with satelite in my hobbyking fiberglass pylon racer and it's really locked in, not a single glitch/brownout. However it's not all about just the rx, you need to use a good reliable ESC also.

Ededge2002

Just remember that you will likely fly a 2.6m wingspan ship a lot further out than a 1m one.

flying saucer

Bobby already flies to the outer limits of the field  ;D