Wattaplane 48" EPP Edge

Started by Dave Dietrich, January 12, 2013, 12:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Dietrich

I got a new toy for Christmas (well actually bought it myself and gave it to the wife for her and the kids to give me for xmas). Its a 48" full fuse EPP design Edge with carbon and lite ply stiffeners that incorporates plug-in wings and removable cowl. The plane was co-designed by SkyWing and Wattaplane (Max Xu in Hamilton, ON) and sell for around $170.00 Cdn with free shipping. (took 3 days to arrive) These planes fly as good or better than balsa planes of the same size and are a lot easier to repair in the event of a mishap. This hybrid EPP/Lite ply airframe is very ridged with little to no flexing. The planes have a little more mass than a typical foamie design which allows them to do some 3D tricks that require a little inertia that traditional foamie designs won't perform. The Edge is the first plane produced with a Slick becoming available in the next couple days.
You can check them out at wattaplane.com or bestvaluerc.com

While I was in Florida over the holidays I got a chance to put a couple flights on her and shot some video. I had to attach my iPhone to a ball cap and shoot the video myself so I'm sorry for the bad camera work.

https://vimeo.com/57220423

Keep flying
Dave.

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Ededge2002

Nice flying Dave.  You can see how well the plane handles but you holding the radio helps!  Watching this makes me think I need to get on the sim and master that rolling stuff! 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

wollins

Quote from: Dave Dietrich on January 12, 2013, 12:36:24 PM
I had to attach my iPhone to a ball cap and shoot the video myself so I'm sorry for the bad camera work.

https://vimeo.com/57220423

Keep flying
Dave.

Forget the flying (just kidding) ... what I want to know is how you attached the iphone to your ball cap!?

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Dave Dietrich

Thanks for the kind words.

How to attach an iPhone to a ball cap... first off I should warn you that you are going to look like an idiot but that is ok because no one will see you. Obviously if someone could see you you could just ask them to shoot the video for you. I would like to tell you that I came up with this idea but sadly all the ideas that I came up with were much stupider than this. Go to Walmart and buy an iPhone car vent holder. They have one that is adjustable on the sides so you get a tight friction fit. This is important because you need to rotate the phone on its side rather than up and down to get a wider angle shot. (you guessed it I got the wrong one the first time and shot some very narrow video) Now to attach the vent holder to the cap we relied on the magic of Velcro. I spun the cap around backwards and velcro did the rest. To increase the viewing angle I bought a 3 in 1 iPhone camera lens made by olloclip
http://www.olloclip.com/
Now the hard part is remembering to not shake your head too much and remember to keep pointing the camera at the plane. I had to edit out a lot of sky video with no plane in it. Make sure to start recording first then carefully slide the phone into the holder without shutting off the video recording then put the hat on. This avoids trying to put the phone in while the cap is on your head and accidentally hitting the record button and turning it off and missing the best flight you did that day. (yeah you guessed it)
One more thing make sure you start recording while already holding the phone on it's side so you avoid the narrow video recording thing again. (I'm a slow learner)
That's it.

pmackenzie

Here is why you want to avoid the vertical video  ;D

Vertical Video Syndrome - A PSA

Dave Dietrich

wollins

Pat, thank you for that .... I laughed my a#@ off.  ;D

Colin.

P.S. Dave, thanks also for the "how to".  ;)   
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

sihinch

Man, I loved the George Lucas put-down! Nice!

Dave Dietrich

I just got news today that Hobby King will be selling these planes in the future

sihinch

Yep, there's a picture on Facebook.

Dave Dietrich

Quote from: sihinch on January 16, 2013, 04:35:15 PM
Yep, there's a picture on Facebook.

And one of you. Why do you look so angry? Did someone launch your plane like a lawn dart?
How is the Edge coming along? Talk to me before you do any mods to the landing gear on the Edge. I just order the new Slick from SkyWing. BVRC just started shipping them on the weekend.