If you really have to buy a new charger today

Started by Ex14th, January 16, 2013, 02:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex14th

With all the new batteries that can sustain high charging rates. What will be your best charger or you are happy with what you have today.

Just trying to make the best choice on the next buy.

Thx,

Alex

sihinch

sts41

ICharger... I have been extremely happy with the 208B I have. Can charge 5S at 10 amp all day... and the logging to computer and internal resistance features are an extra bonus.

Steve

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on January 16, 2013, 02:46:25 PM
Buy Colin's old one!

Exactly!  ;D  You won't find a better value (power, versatility and price) anywhere than this package. (I've researched it! lol!)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Dave Dietrich

Quote from: sts41 on January 16, 2013, 02:52:02 PM
ICharger... I have been extremely happy with the 208B I have. Can charge 5S at 10 amp all day... and the logging to computer and internal resistance features are an extra bonus.

Steve

I love my icharger 208B. Best charger I have owned hands down. easy to operate, balances cells well, doesn't take five minutes to ramp up to the set charging voltage, The fan is super quiet which is nice while charging in the house and after many charges the fan has not started that annoying bad bearing sound which makes a racket. It is very feature rich and lets you save programs by the actual name not just 1,2,3,4 etc. and measures thing like internal resistance.The only downside is it only charges one batt at a time unless you use a charging balance board.  I have two chargers now and when the other on goes I will replace it with another icharger. It's worth the extra bit of money IMO.

flying saucer

Quote from: Ex14th on January 16, 2013, 02:31:30 PM
With all the new batteries that can sustain high charging rates. What will be your best charger or you are happy with what you have today.

Just trying to make the best choice on the next buy.

Thx,

Alex

I guess it depends on what batteries you need to charge with it. Will you be using mostly 3cell, or larger 5 and 6 cell packs? For 3cell lipos, a basic 50watt charger will be fine. For larger packs with 5C charge rates and above, you will probably want a charger capable of at least 300watts. I would agree with Steve and Dave, the icharger is one of the best and comes in several models, although it is on the pricey side.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: wollins on January 16, 2013, 03:39:17 PM
Quote from: sihinch on January 16, 2013, 02:46:25 PM
Buy Colin's old one!

Exactly!  ;D  You won't find a better value (power, versatility and price) anywhere than this package. (I've researched it! lol!)

Colin

I've been using the same Hyperion EOS 1210i charger with a pair of LBA 10 Balancers for four years and I love the system.  (I bought them on Colin's expert recommendation.)  It's solid hardware with a well thought out operating system.  The only potential issue might be the 2C charging limit, but that has never been a big deal for me since I spend a fair bit of my field time photographing other folks flying.  I bring a bunch of batteries to the field and when they're used up (a rare occasion) I go back to my camera.  Charging at 1C to 2C at home has alway worked for me, and there is always something to do in the shop while the batteries are cooking.   Colin, this raises an obvious question: what will you be using in place of the 1210i system and what was your motivation for the change?

Good luck on the sale.

Andy

wollins

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on January 16, 2013, 04:37:24 PM

Colin, this raises an obvious question: what will you be using in place of the 1210i system and what was your motivation for the change?

Good luck on the sale.

Andy

Most likely a couple of the Hyperion Duo's.  ;D   
|
|
|

Ex14th

Quote from Andy's post:

"Colin, this raises an obvious question: what will you be using in place of the 1210i system and what was your motivation for the change?"

Would certainly be one of the reasons why I posted this question at the first place, because apparently, people are charging their packs at something like 9C, and that's considered being low, lol. ;D

Alex

piker

Quote from: wollins on January 16, 2013, 05:41:50 PM

I know you like the Hyperion, but what do you (and others) think of the Icharger 4010Duo.  10cells and 40A PER SIDE!?

Robert

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: wollins on January 16, 2013, 05:41:50 PM
Quote from: Andy Hoffer on January 16, 2013, 04:37:24 PM

Colin, this raises an obvious question: what will you be using in place of the 1210i system and what was your motivation for the change?

Good luck on the sale.

Andy

Watch for some serious brownouts in Scarborough this spring !!  :D

wollins

Rob, it was one of the contenders but I'll pass for the following reasons:

1. Too new ... based on what ive read theyre still working out kinks and bugs.
2. Programming seems to be fairly complex with somewhat of a steep learning curve.  I love the simple intuative programming of the Hyperion chargers.
3. I'm leery of putting "all my eggs in one basket".  wITH A DUO, if something goes ... theres a chance that both sides will be affected and then Ill be out of a charger until I get it back.  Thats why I like the idea of TWO chargers and at $400+ per pop I wont be able to afford two of THOSE. I can afford two of the Hyperion Duo's.  :)

Colin
|
|
|