Sundowner GPS flight

Started by Bobmic, May 11, 2013, 07:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

Bellow are a couple of screen shots from the GPS flight data of my Sundowner flight today

Bobby

Ededge2002

VERY COOL BOBBY!!

Is this with the gps module on the EagleTree? 

Im totaly in love with all that data!  Thank you for taking the time to post this and add more as you collect it!

Question: can you overlay altitude and speed on one graph so as to be able to pick out where the speeds are being measured?  This would give an accurate max level flight speed measurment.

I have at least a dozen more questions but will try not to flood you lol.

neat to see the data as I watched this plane fly today and it was eating up some air!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

That's really cool.

What system is this?
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Bobmic

Mike - it's a GPS unit linked to an eagle tree. I also have the voltage and current readings of these flights.
I took more readings of RPM temp and G force on a couple of flights towards the end of last season and posted them in a different thread.
Ed I can overlay everything on the graphs. As for google maps I can post the actual file and you can open it on google earth it is a live display that shows the speed along the flight but the data seems to be a bit less accurate especially altitude.
Not sure why it doesn't zero the altitude.
Go ahead ask any question I can check what additional information I can get out of it.
Bobby

piker

What I find cool is that you use the farm field to good effect without flying over the road... but we now have real data evidence that you owe us all a coffee   ;D

Robert

Bobmic

I will be happy to buy you coffee but I didn't understand why:)?

Mike: I noticed that with the smaller diameter prop and higher pitch I needed more rudder on the ground. Since you will be using an even smaller prop spinning at higher rpm make sure you have enough rudder on throw when you take off for the first time. (Not sure if this is due to the smaller diameter or the higher pitch)

Bobby

thehaze

Good to know.

I'm not sure what the relationship between the prop size and the torque effect is but I'm prepared for that. I don't think the Sundowner will be as bad in that way as the Pogo was, that was one monster of a plane on the ground. Only plane I ever flew where I wasn't always sure it would get off the ground safely no matter how many times I flew it.

Or I could just go with a gyro...  ;D Ed suggested that after you left.

Ededge2002

Quote " Or I could just go with a gyro...  ;D Ed suggested that after you left"

Oh yea!!

bfeist

The punishment for flying behind the flight line has always been a round of coffees. That's just the way it is :)

Ben

Ededge2002

I don't see where he flew behind the flight line?  I do see a possibly an error that the plane went off into the forest briefly in the second photo ...  Did you take the plane over there to show it something on foot?  "See this is the tree Simon landed in...  Don't do that!"

sihinch

It should officially as "Simon's tree!"

thehaze

Then some people who I will not name, owe me a lot of coffee.

In bobby's defence I never saw the Sundowner fly behind the line. By the looks of it, the gas was recording when he took the plane from his car.

sihinch

Quote from: thehaze on May 12, 2013, 11:10:35 AM
By the looks of it, the gas was recording when he took the plane from his car.

I agree - that looks like Bobby carrying it to the flight line for take-off.

How do you take your coffee, Mike?  ;)

thehaze

Bobmic

I can bring coffee with no relation to that.
One thing I noticed was that the GPS had some glitches. Not sure where is the difference between goigle maps and the rough data on the graphs but on one flight google maps showed one pass one over the trees behind me... and the speed was something like 400kph... This is why I prefer the logger instead of a stand alone GPS that will just show max and average values.
As for the areas shown in these pictures behind the flight line - this is the table where I powered up the GPS - I was waiting for it to lock.