Top Flite DC3 82.5" wingspan

Started by Michael, October 26, 2013, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I don't know what I'm going to do.  ;D

When I get to that point, I'll ask everyone for input.

Michael

Michael

Main wing construction is complete. Next will be filling and sanding, and then building the nacelles.

Time for a well-deserved hangar-flight. It looks like an airplane!

Michael

Andy Hoffer

Looks sweet!  Now get back to work.  We're really anxious to see the finished product!!  :)

Andy

Michael

OK, back at work, but now I'm done for the evening.

The wing has been filled, and will be dry and ready for sanding tomorrow morning.

Michael

Michael

OK, I don't have a beer can to use as reference, but Jack said he'd volunteer a beer belly.  ;D

Michael

Ededge2002

Looks great Michael!  impressive size and build.  Oh and the plane is nice too!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Michael

Flap and aileron linkages installed. These will be fine-tuned once the model is painted and the flap and aileron hinges are glued in place.

Next is the nacelle construction. I may not get to thay until the weekend.
I'm back to work tomorrow, so progress will return to a slower but more normal pace.
Michael

Michael

Nacelles under construction.

See the rounded notches to leave room for the mounting spacers.
Michael

sihinch

Are those landing lights that I can see drooped over the wing, behind the nacelle?

Very impressive build.

I think RAF color scheme! Lol

Michael

Those are just speed control wires.

The plane will have Canadian colours.
Michael

Bigstik

Tried to post, but got message 'too big' Is there a size limit on what can be posted?

Bigstik
Bigstik

Wingnutz

Quote from: Michael on January 04, 2014, 06:50:19 AM
Those are just speed control wires.

The plane will have Canadian colours.
:D!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Bigstik

Nice work Michael. it shows that you've been hanging around Piker a lot.

I have a new project as well. Had Don Wilson of Don's Balsa Grimsby cut a short kit of Island Aircraft Spectra amphibian. It was in RCM magazine afew years back and Laddie updated/modified the plans. He flew his at the EMFSO OEF Expo in 2007.

The plane is very similar in design to the Seawind, but imho better looking and Laddie said it flies better.
Bigstik

Michael

Nice plane, Al.

Yup! I've been hanging around with Piker quite a bit, and that's who I curse each time I have to go back and do more sanding!

;D
Michael

Michael

Nacelle basic construction is done.

Each plastic cowl is made of 3 pieces of thick styrene, and each had to be carefully cut out and assembled.
Those alone took about 2 hours to build.

Photos show: basic wood construction; nacelles sheeted and with some filler; nacelles after rough sanding and cowls installed; cowl and nacelle on wing-bottom.
Michael