Top Flite DC3 82.5" wingspan

Started by Michael, October 26, 2013, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

Lots of work Michael but is looking very DC3!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

bfeist

This build thread takes the cake! Your progress is amazingly fast.

BTW, that picture of Jack verifies my suspicion that he is the real builder behind all of this progress (now that he's an expert after the scratch build course). :)

Ben

bfeist

Quote from: piker on December 30, 2013, 06:14:16 PM
Lookin' great!  Keep up the good work!

BTW, don't forget Colin's excellent recommendation for sealing the wood before you apply a heavy coat of WBPU... Is THAT what you were asking about last night?

Here's a previous post on what I did for the nooner wing (to seal before applying WBPU). http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,4357.msg25527.html#msg25527

Michael

It's been a productive weekend. Next is the wing fillets, and then a complete sanding.
The next couple weeks may be busy at work, so probably not a lot will be done on this model.
It's still on schedule to be finished by the end of February.

Time for a little more 'hangar flying'.

Michael

Andy Hoffer

I really like your DC-3.  It's beautiful.  But I really, REALLY, REALLY like your scratch-built assemby table with the scale astro-turf covering.  I sure hope you're going to bring that to the field with your DC-3.  It really enhances the overall aesthetics - and it would be a great platform for photographing your plane and other people's winter projects! :D

Andy

piker

That looks fantastic!  I hate you!

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Michael on January 05, 2014, 06:57:27 PM
It's been a productive weekend. Next is the wing fillets, and then a complete sanding.
The next couple weeks may be busy at work, so probably not a lot will be done on this model.
It's still on schedule to be finished by the end of February.

Time for a little more 'hangar flying'.

Is that Toblerone in photo #054 going to be used for cargo?  How many hours of building can you get out of a chocolate bar that size??

Andy

Michael

Quote from: piker on January 05, 2014, 10:11:52 PM
That looks fantastic!  I hate you!

From you, Robert, that is the highest form of praise one can get, when it comes to building a model airplane!  ;D
Michael

Wingnutz

I'm impressed with your task accomplishment rate! Wow!
Model looks great and reminds me of the Millardair DC-3 that took me for a Christmas lights flight over Toronto way back when flights like that cost $5.00!(yeah I know... The Jurassic Era!). Also remids me of the Great Lakes Airlines DC-3s I loaded as a university student/summer time ramp hand at Malton(aka Pearson)
Talk about an aircraft with a long and distinguished history!...It's been around longer than I have...great choice Michael!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Hey Michael,

It was really nice to see the fully assembled DC3 last night.  It looks SO nice and I think we're all looking forward to watching the next construction steps.  It'll be an exciting test flight at TEMAC in the spring.

Michael

OK, back to it!

I just spent about 3 hours fitting, adjusting and gluing on a plywood wing saddle and plastic wing fillets.
(I cut out and shaped the wing fillets a few days ago; that took a couple hours too.)
I also put on a light filler along the edges, and will sand that tomorrow, and then apply another layer, as well as some other balsa parts to fill in the bottom.
Michael

sihinch

Phew, you're back.  I thought you'd sold the DC3  ;)

Michael

I'm working on the bottom of the wing fillets where they merge into the fuselage.

This is the last stage of construction!

One this is done, hopefully some time this weekend, I will start some sanding and preparation for fiber-glassing and finishing.

Of course, I still have to finish the radio installation and other component placement.

This is a list for me to do:

1. Finish fillets and sand final shape.
2. Remove all landing gear and other things not to be painted.
3. Fill and sand entire model (twice).
4. Seal the balsa so it won't warp when painted.
5. Sand again.
6. Cover with fiberglass and water-based polyester-urethane.
7. Sand again, and sand plastic parts.
8. Another coat and more sanding.
9. Spray model and plastic parts with primer.
10. Install motors, landing gear, and all components.
11. Install battery tray, battery, and balance the model.
12. Finish battery hatch.
13. Remove motors, landing gear, and all non-to-be-painted components.
14. Paint model. (One step. That sounds easy).
15. Re-install motors, landing gear, and all components.
16. Find and install suitable propellers.
17. Fly model.
Michael

Tom M.

Maybe only 800 hrs. or so left to go, Michael- you're almost there! (I'm glassing and sanding, sanding, sanding the Hornet right now- perhaps 2016 hrs. to completion)
  Tom
(This is meant as encouragement) ;)

Michael

Wing saddle, fillets and parts complete.
Basic construction is FINISHED! Nearly 3 months!

Light overall sanding is next.
Michael