CL-415 winter project.

Started by wollins, November 11, 2013, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Happy Easter all!

Well I'm pleased with what I got done today. I finally got the wing attachment sorted out.  The kit had it with two bolts in front and one in back.  I thought that that was one too many bolts as anything I can do to reduce set up time at the field I'm willing to do.  I decided that I was gonna use the common (and simpler) dowel in front / two bolts in back. Speaking with Rob reinforced that decision since his 215 has that setup as well.

However after drilling out my holes for the dowels came to the realization that the wing is too thin (especially the LE) so that this may have been the reason for the original design!  ::) I could have made it work (using thinner dowels) but there were other alignment issues as well.  Ended up going for the original plan after all. 

However it was not as simple as it seemed.  Since this was my first balsa build, I had never tackled a hold down bolt install in an open structure wing before. Keep in mind that this kit came with absolutely NO instructions! The obvious challenge is that there must be some sort of supporting structure for the bolts etc. Anyway racked my brain in bed and came up with an idea that I didn't want to forget so got up and put it to paper. THEN I was able to sleep.  ;D (Again ... is this hobby an obsession or what!!!!)

Anyways, its done. One less finicky thing to do. Woot woot! I can't believe I'm actually seeing the light at the end of this tunnel! The only real building now left to do is the sheeting and planking of the nacelles.  I might actually get this done after all!  ;) ;D 

Colin     
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Ok guys, it's SANDING time! whoo hoo! (not!) One thing I learned today ... if at all possible, sand in direct sunlight.  Shows every pinhole and divot that you miss in the shop. Luckily the skylight in my gym does the job quite well.

Ok need some opinions ...   when I built in the wing attachment set I should have recessed those guide tubes so that when bolted down the bolt heads would be flush with the top of the wing. I guess at the time I was thinking that I would lose some strength if I did that however it's the blocks that provide the strength not the sheeting/skin! Duh!  As my daughter would say ... "silly daddy"! lol!

Anyways was wondering if you guys think its worth it to fill in that "step" just in front of the guide tubes just for cosmetic purposes? (see pic)

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

Just paint the bolts yellow and they will disappear.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

Yeah think I'll just leave as is, after all they're only protruding about 4mm. More sanding today.  ::) But that just means we're getting closer to the end.  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

piker

Looking wonderful, Colin!  Keep up the great work!

Have you started covering yet?

wollins

Nope. Still sanding and doing some fiddly bits.

Colin
|
|
|

electroflyer

Looking great! Don't rush to cover. To often, I have rushed to cover a plane only to find that things that I believed to inconsequential came back to haunt me when the shiny covering was applied. This is the time to sand and fill and repeat until you are happy. I would also suggest getting a tack cloth from Canadian Tire. You find them in the auto body section. This helps to get the final layer of dust off the fuselage and wing.
Cheers!
Glenn

wollins

Thanks Glen ... nice tip about the tack cloth. So ... took a break from my sanding routine when I realized that those winglets would totally get broken while transporting or even just moving the plane in and out of the house. (They're somewhat fragile)  Decided to make them removable.  Of course I decided this AFTER I sheeted the wing (the portion where the blind nuts would go) so I had to get creative to make my attachments. So here goes ... the tutorial of ...

HOW TO ENCASE AND ATTACH YOUR NUTS IN 10 SIMPLE STEPS!   ;D

Step 1. Find a suitably sized dowel and "core" it out.
Step 2. Slice the dowel into "rings".
Step3. Encase and glue your "nuts" into your rings.
Step 4. Glue on a lite ply backing to prevent your nuts from falling back into your wing.
Step 5. Glue on a lite ply "front" to prevent your nuts from pulling out of your wing as you tighten up your bolts.
Step 6. Drill out receiving holes in the wing to accept your "nutcases".
Step 7. Insert in glue in your "nutcases" flush with your wingtip. (Sand smooth to be perfectly flush)
Step 8. Drill corresponding holes in your winglets for your bolts. Make sure you recess your holes a bit so bolt heads sit flush with surface of winglet.
Step 9. Attach/bolt on winglets.
Step 10.  Congratulate yourself on now being a certified nutcase!  ;D

Colin

P.S. And I wonder why this plane is taking so long! Sheesh!  ::)
|
|
|

piker

That's really cool!  Something tells me you're enjoying this building nonsense...

Or you're just going nutty.

wollins

Well, I have no excuse but to finish this now ... my last set of parts just arrived, woot woot! Ran up to Pinnacle and got some more CA and wood so now its a drive to the finish! Pics to come shortly.  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Progress is happening, albeit slowly. Finally got a chance to put in some time on this today. (busy week) Should be able to wrap this up and get to finishing (covering and painting etc) by next week though so no worries. Finally been able to start closing up my nacelles because I finally got the balance of my wiring.  Decided to make my nacelles a no entry area for water since I'm guessing that in a dunking they would be the most common source of access.

Did this by making my wiring to my motors permanently installed to the firewall and sealed from the back.  This also makes swapping out/servicing the motors a matter of simply unplugging their wires from the front and unscrewing the motor/s. Pics will explain better.  ;D Sheeting and planking of the nacelles almost done.

Tomorrow and the weekend ...

- Install servos and run their wires.
- Install nav lights in winglets and run their wires.
- Install beacon lights in bottom of wing (near fuse) and run their wires. 
- Sheet middle bottom of wing (was waiting for all wires to be run)
- Continue final sanding.

I'll get pcis of the entire plane assembled (the last shot before being "finished") over the weekend. Next week ... glass, paint and cover!

Colin   

|
|
|

Wingnutz

Nicely done Colin! Looking forward to seeing another outstanding water plane model in the TEMAC/PIKER water based air force!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

wollins

Thanks Bill ... I think she'll look pretty ... sure hope she flies.  ;) ;D

Colin
|
|
|

piker

Nice!  I like the plug in motor wire approach.  Very smart.

And YES, water can get in the wings through the wire holes in the nacelles.   :-[  I will be plugging mine for future dunkings...

wollins

Ta da! Here she is ... ready for covering/glassing/painting. (somewhat.  ;)) As she sits here she weighs 4lbs 5 ozs. A further 2 lbs of stuff needs to be added (batts, receiver, servos etc etc etc) which will bring her to 6lb 5ozs and THEN we have to add the weight of covering/glassing/painting.  I'm now hopeful to be 7 or under since I'm only glassing and painting the fuse.  ::)

Colin
|
|
|