CL-415 winter project.

Started by wollins, November 11, 2013, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I finally read Rob's really helpful post.....it just took me a few days and a few attempts!!!

Summary:
Aircraft ply has 5 layers and is better than light ply. ;-)

piker

Simon, I only posted it three hours ago.  You need to slow down and smell the roses... and read my rambling.  Both are worth the time  ;D

Ya, Colin.  I hear the inspector had to leave in a hurry last week so he wasn't able to carry out the inspection.  I'm sure he'll have more time tomorrow.

Papa

I agree with Rob's comments entirely. I have made up 1/4" ply using light ply and two 1/16" skins. I have also used two 1/8' lite plys at 90 degrees. I think, now a days, the critical issue with ply is strength as apposed to weight as we have such powerful motors. Most are flying at half throttle anyway so we have power to spare.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

Ok guys, you know the drill ... had a little time ... did a little work. ;) She's almost a boat now.  Sheeting did add some weight huh?

Colin.

P.S. Hope you guys don't mind me posting about every little thing that's getting done cause its how I keep myself on track! :) 
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

piker

Quote from: wollins on January 31, 2014, 04:58:29 PM
P.S. Hope you guys don't mind me posting about every little thing that's getting done cause its how I keep myself on track! :)

I encourage posting a lot.  I've been lazy about posting about my build, but I like it when we're kept in the loop.  It gives me something to check out while at work, when I need a mental break  :)

BTW guys, I was able to check out Colin build on Saturday.  We looked it over and discussed various aspects of the build while dinning on Popeyes chicken.  It looks really good and I think he's having a great time working through the challenges and enjoying the accomplishments, which is good because THAT is why we build things.  I tell ya, even though he's working from a detailed plan with laser cut parts, there seems to be a lot of mistakes in the drawings and fit of the parts.  It probably would have been easier to cut the parts out himself, to the plans, rather than trying to figure out how to use the incorrect parts he was provided.  Still.  He's moving along well and it'll be a fantastic model when he's done.

wollins

Yeah the inspector gave it a thumbs up on Sat ... we wrestled with trying to understand the plans regarding the vertical stab (which was next up to build) but I don't feel bad cause even the inspector was perplexed!  In any event, we comcluded that I'd just have to fudge what didn't make sense.  ::)

So put in some time on it yesterday and a little more today and voila!  I'm pleased with how my fudging turned out.  I even got it straight! lol! Next ... the horizontal stab.  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

piker

Wow!  Looking great!  That's a serious fin on the 215, eh?

sihinch

Ditto!

You're building fast, Colin!

Michael

Now it looks like a Waterbomber!
Michael

wollins

Thanks guys!  I'm doing my best to finish this thing as fast as I can.  I have four and half weeks to do it to meet my goal. Sometimes I think I can and then other times I think its no way it'll get done by then. We'll see.

The greatest challenge I've had so far (other than deciphering the plans) is getting things "straight".  The fin was a real challenge in that regard especially since I "eyeballed" things as opposed to jigging and shimming. ;) Like I mentioned before I'm really impressed that it came out so straight but I had to do a fair bit of "adjustments" to make it so. The "adjustments" is what really take up a lot of time, so to be honest because of this challenge I'm not particularly looking forward to the wing!

I also have a AUW goal of 6 pounds and with the following components that I intend to use, the actual airframe can be no more than 3lbs 3ozs (51ozs) if I'm to meet my goal.   

The following is its COMPONENT weights:

2 Omega 1100KV BL motors 5.5ozs
2 Turnigy Plush 40A ESC: 2.5ozs
2  MAS 10 X 7 three bladers 2.5ozs
2 X 1.75" diameter Aluminum 3 blade spinners: 2.15ozs
2 ZIPPY COMPACT 25C 3s 3700mah batteries: 19ozs
FrSky 2.4 Ghz 7ch Receiver: .35oz
Turnigy 7.5A UBEC : 1.5ozs
4/6 Corona 939MG servos: 2/3oz
Misc (nav lights, servo extensions, motor wiring, pushrods, pilots etc): 8.5ozs

TOTAL COMPONENT WEIGHT = 45oz OR 2lbs 13ozs

Colin
|
|
|

electroflyer

Hey Colin,
  Are you sure you haven't built one before? I wish my airplanes were that straight ;)

Well done!

battlestu

looking good!

BTW i thought the trim pots on the radio help straighten out the plane ;)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

Quote from: wollins on February 03, 2014, 11:39:19 PM
...The fin was a real challenge in that regard especially since I "eyeballed" things as opposed to jigging and shimming. ;) .

:-[  What am I going to do with you....

BTW, don't forget about the pound of wire in your weight estimate   ;)

wollins

Quote from: electroflyer on February 04, 2014, 08:20:21 AM
   Hey Colin,
  Are you sure you haven't built one before? I wish my airplanes were that straight ;)

Well done!

Thanks Glen, means a lot coming from the veterans like yourself since I've always admired the balsa builds that you guys do. The builds that you, Michael and Rob are doing right now make this look like a butcher's work!

Colin.
|
|
|

wollins

Quote from: piker on February 04, 2014, 09:58:48 AM
Quote from: wollins on February 03, 2014, 11:39:19 PM
BTW, don't forget about the pound of wire in your weight estimate   ;)

A pound?  :o  I don't know what gauge wire you're using but I've calculated that the bulk of mine (14 gauge for motors) plus my extensions will come out to about four ounces tops.  ;D The wire you see on the scale here is 77 inches and I only need 90 ... but you're right, I forgot to list that weight. ;)  BTW, I just checked my notes and the Bird Dog (which can be a real floater) comes in at just about 7 pounds with LESS wing area so even if I get up to 7 pounds I'll be just fine.  ;D

Colin
|
|
|