CL-415 winter project.

Started by wollins, November 11, 2013, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Quote from: Papa on February 21, 2014, 04:15:31 PM
with your system I would use a straight piece of wood between the weights and the seam.

Yup, that's what I did ... look closely at the last pic. ;)  BTW, I'm loving that express glue you recommended!

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Well not a heck of a lot to report ... its been a hectic weekend so didn't get to accomplish part of my week's goal of finishing the sheeting.  Got the Nose block/planking done not the sheeting. Anyway, I did do a little something.  I located and installed the battery and servo trays. (exciting huh? lol!) 

The good news is that the sheeting will get done by tomorrow night so these pics are the last of my "pics with sticks"! I also want to do a little covering job as well. (just some little bits to make me feel like some things are being actually completed!)  So I'll have some cool pics for you on the next update as I think things will look a LOT different! My plan may be a bit of a challenge though since we have guests from out of town for the next couple of days. (don't they know I'm trying to build a plane?  How rude! KIDDING ... I like these people! lol!)

In any event, I need opinions again.  I originally had picked the yellow on the left for my covering ... but then upon really looking at it I felt as if it was too "orange", so I ordered a different "yellow".  Well the yellow that came seems to me to be a little too yellow? (as in light and bright) 

So which in your opinion suits the full size color best? In the second "covering pic" you'll see it compared to the Bird Dogs yellow and in that one it looks not so bright but the full size seems quite a bit more orange to me .... or am I color blind?

Colin       
|
|
|

battlestu

that first roll of covering does look orange-ish

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Papa

The orange-ish is more school bus yellow while the prototype is more Department of Transport yellow. I think the colour you need is between the two you have.

jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

Quote from: Papa on February 25, 2014, 04:48:54 PM
The orange-ish is more school bus yellow while the prototype is more Department of Transport yellow. I think the colour you need is between the two you have.

jack.

Crap!  Just as I thought ... the one I need is the one I don't have!  ::)
|
|
|

wollins

Well, I've decided I'm gonna go with the "orangeish" yellow cause it more matches C-GOGG than the more yellow yellow ... and besides this is not supposed to be super scale anyway.  ;)

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

I didn't get a chance to reply yesterday, but I would go for the slightly more orange shade. 

Most of the CL415's I've seen (in pictures) have been more orange in shade with red trim.  The one that mine is modeled after (CL-215, Ontario 267) is very yellow compared to most, so I did go for the bright yellow with black trim.

Plus, if you go more orange, your plane will look less like mine  :)

wollins

Good, C-GOGG it is!  Besides orange is my favourite color. ;) Got the fuse all sheeted ... done the first sanding ... will put some filler in now ... then another sanding ... then apply some poly ... then another sanding ... 

Colin
|
|
|

piker

You know the routine!  Pictures!

I'm glad to hear you're still moving along.  It's looking SO nice!

wollins

I'm really excited about today.  No more clients after 11am (started at 7am but a slow day) and the wife, house guest and kids are off to the science center which gives me at least five hours to do some work on this! WHOO HOO! Lets see what I can do ... update tonight for sure!  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

sihinch

Oh Colin, you're so tempting fate for something else to come-up!

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on February 27, 2014, 10:59:25 AM
Oh Colin, you're so tempting fate for something else to come-up!

Well, we'll have to blame Simon for lack of progress.  :) Within a couple of hours of his post we experienced a prolonged power outage.  :( So didn't get half of what I wanted to get done, but there's always tomorrow! (actually today.  ;))

Colin 
|
|
|

piker

Way to go Simon!  Great way to screw up Colin's plans!  It's all YOUR fault  >:(

I spent my day, yesterday, looking forward to getting home and sanding the filler on my plane, but then sat down with Tara for a minute and ended up watching a movie.  Ugh!  What a waste of good building time  ;)  Oh, and I had to drive my kid's girlfriend to the subway at 11:45pm.  Prime building time!

gordonbw

Was the movie a chick flick, Rob?