CL-415 winter project.

Started by wollins, November 11, 2013, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Haven't had an update for awhile but things are moving (albeit very slowly) in the background.  ;D Finally got to covering the wing and like a lot of things in the build it's a royal PITA because of all the fiddly bits. An example ... EACH of the eight flap hinges have to be individually covered and each hinge has five coverable surfaces.  That FORTY itsy bitsy pieces of covering!  :o Some would say "just paint them" but I want these to travel as smooth and bind free as possible and painting may possibly introduce some binding. 

Having said that  I think the wing will look really good when its done.  I'm also not looking forward to  the wiring ... with six lights in the wing alone (two nav lights, two landing lights and two under wing beacon lights) its a rats nest of wires in there and since I intend to incorporate MPX plugs (six pin) to minimise the connections I have to make, soldering the twelve mini pins will be a real challenge. 

Anyways, it'll all get done ... and it'll be worth it in the end! I was hoping to get her at least "maidenable" by the 15th (this coming Sunday) and I might just make it. Why the 15th?  Well, that will be exactly five months that I've been at this and ... it's Father Day!  This would be a super gift from me to ME! lol!

Colin   
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Oh I forgot ... I did do something else to the fuse. I added a couple of stripes. ;)

Colin
|
|
|

piker

How about on Saturday... only one day early... at Tavares Pond Float Fly!!!

I KNOW you want a crowd for your test flight   ;D

In case that doesn't work for you, I'll be ready with my boat whenever you're ready for your test flight.  Sunday?

wollins

Ok, lets aim for Sunday. (Now I MUST finish it in time!)

Colin 
|
|
|

wollins

All the fiddly covering bits are done! YAY!!!  I've made my covering templates for the wing bottoms so tomorrow I just have to cut out my big pieces based on the templates, slap them on and flip her over and slap on the top pieces. Then I will be DONE with covering. That gives me three days (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) to get her to the flyable stage!  I'M STOKED cause I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Colin

P.S.  BTW, I thought I'd pass on a tip. Every now and again I come across a post enquiring about sources for motor stand offs.  Well, for "smaller" motors (600 size and below I guess?) I've been using the ends (or "mounting heads) of some zip ties that I'd bought awhile ago. (I think at Can tire or HDepot) I'd always snipped them off and discarded them in the past but at some point it occurred to me that they could make standoffs in a pinch!  See pics. (apologies for the pic quality)       
|
|
|

wollins

Well all the covering prep work paid off.  I'm extremely pleased with how the covering of the wing came out.  There were a few blemishes where the actual covering color sorta rubbed off a teeny bit (damn cheap HK covering!) but nothing you would notice unless I pointed it out. lol! 

Anyways, I'm a day late on this but still hoping to maiden Sunday. Got all that wiring to do, got to  install the windshield and I have to hook up/install and test the actual power system etc. 

Colin
|
|
|

sihinch

You can do it, Colin!  8)

It's looks amazing - build of the year?  ::)

piker

Wow!  Nice!

What about a picture with the two major bits together, or are you waiting for the grand unveiling?

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on June 13, 2014, 08:20:24 AM
It's looks amazing - build of the year????

Ha ha! Don't think so ... made too many boo boos on this one but that's alright cause I love how its coming out! Besides its my "practice" build leading up to the Albatross.  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Quote from: piker on June 13, 2014, 11:07:15 AM
Wow!  Nice!

What about a picture with the two major bits together, or are you waiting for the grand unveiling?

I'll see what I can do ... however as I said in my text I think I found a major boo boo, so I have to fix that first. ;) In any event, because of that it looks like this Sunday's maiden is off.  :( Maybe I'll just go to the field and put a dozen packs through my Nooner to take a break from this. Then I can come back and finish strong next week! ;)

Colin
|
|
|

Ededge2002

As Colin's workbench is always so disgustingly clean I'm relieved to see SOME clutter and signs of work on it.  The plane looks great Colin and watching along has been better than TV these days.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on June 13, 2014, 08:20:24 AM
It's looks amazing - build of the year?  ::)

Simon, when you see Glenn's plane then you will see a FANTASTIC build IMHO.  Saw it today at the field and the fit and finish is as good as it gets. Now THAT'S a candidate for build of the year! (Don't get me wrong, I think I did a pretty good job too ... so thanks for the compliment! ;))

Thanks Ed for your comments too!

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Almost there!  ;D

Updated to do list.

1. Install spray rails
2. Paint fuse bottoms.
3. Paint tip float bottoms
4. Prime and paint cowls
5. Poly, prime and paint hull handles
6. Install hull handles
7. Paint fuse yellow
8. Install windshield
9. Install nav lights in winglets
10. Install beacon lights in mid wing
11. Install magnets to attach battery hatch
12. Sheet bottom wing saddle
13. Install rear wing attachment
14. Cover wing
15. Connect all electronics and test the system

MAIDEN!

16. Add white stripe and decals
17. Install faux "wheels", windows and all the extra fancy stuff!  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

frajolex

Colin, I'm dying to see this plane flying!  when are you planning to fly it for the first time?
Andre Albuquerque

Be careful... it's always too close, no matter how far...

wollins

Quote from: piker on June 13, 2014, 11:07:15 AM
Wow!  Nice!

Ask and you shall receive!

Quote from: frajolex on June 18, 2014, 11:52:17 PM
Colin, I'm dying to see this plane flying!  when are you planning to fly it for the first time?

Well, she's ALMOST done but regardless ... this WILL fly this weekend!

Colin
|
|
|