First FPV project

Started by sihinch, January 07, 2015, 04:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

1 of my new year resolutions was to try FPV.  I've been doing the research that I start all of my projects with, and have ordered some components.  I have decided to start this thread so that you call share in my learnings, and perhaps use it for your own reference.

1st - what is my objective or motivation?  Well, I don't want to become some hardcore FPVer who flies over the horizon and beyond line of site.  I've not looked in to that too much, but I think it is risky (with real aircraft traffic) and probably even illegal around Toronto.  But lucky for me it's not what I wanted to accomplish.   

What I want to do is to be able to fly around the limits of the TEMAC field, and try to video other planes and general flight activities at our club.  My logic was that with FPV and a video recorder, I could get another persons plane in view and follow it, so I know I am getting good video footage.  So my aim is really about being able to see what I'm filming.  I got the idea/inspiration for this from my formation flying with @Gregor77 and watching @electroflyer trying to film Nooner racing with his Quadcopter.

So, I ordered an inexpensive, stable aircraft with a wide flight envelope (nothing too fast, and not too sedate, something with ailerons) - a HobbyKing Bixler 2.  I ordered the version 2 rather than the version 3 because I read reviews that it was more responsive and aerobatic.  Not something you necessarily need for FPV, but something I need to chase Greg!

I will be modifying the plane, by adding a more substantial motor (3530 1400kV) and bigger ESC (40A) mounted externally in the airflow, adding the optional flaps and moving the rudder and elevator servos to the rear of the plane (to help with CG once the FPV gear is on board.)  I will also add packing tape to reinforce the wings and leading edge of both stabilisers.  So far, this is not dissimilar to what I did with my old Easy Star.

Now for the FPV gear - this was the fun part for me, researching and understanding the gear.  I found this great thread on RCGroups with some wonderful videos, that I watched over the Christmas hols:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355327

I don't have a HAM licence yet (I bought the study guide) so I am limited legally to a FCC approved 5.8Ghz video transmitter lower than 25mW (I think?)  I read reviews and found a highly regarded transmitter made by Team BlackSheep (TBS Greenhorn), which if paired with a decent antenna should give 500+ meters of range.  For the video receiver, the Team BlackSheep site suggests that the RC305 is a good budget performer, so I decided to pair that up with some 5.8GHz circular polarized ImmersionRC antenna (for both Tx and Rx.)  I also ordered a 5dB patch antenna for the Rx, to see if that would extend the range (that was only $15.)  Now add a $35 Sony CCD 700TV line camera and a Quanum DIY goggle set and I should be ready to go!

So that's it for now, I'll let you know how I get on, the problems I have with wiring and power set-up (some components take 5v others use 12v) and the layout of equipment in the aircraft.  And of course, the video when I get it!  Components are due any day now.....

battlestu

sounds like fun... played a bit with Oscar's FPV setup last year and it was a blast!
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

I too will be messing with FPV this summer with similar goals of using the onboard vantage point for get better inflight video.  I have the goggle and I had a camera and transmitter until I wired them up incorrectly and fried both (I believe).  I haven't had a chance to get replacements yet, so the goggles sit waiting.

My FPVing will be from various aircraft I already have.  No quadcopters for me  :P

Oscar

Go for it Simon.  I volunteer to be your spotter.  ;)

sihinch

OK, so let me update you on some learning.  I didn't realise that the Rx I'd bought on the 5.8Ghz band was for 8 channels within the 5.8Ghz band range, and the Tx I'd bought could transmit on a different 8 channels in the 5.8Ghz band range!  Who knew there were actually 32Ch in the 5.8Ghz range. 

The groups of 8 channels are referred to as Band A to Band D.  My Tx was band A and my Rx was band D.  Fortunately, I read on RC Groups about a mod that you could do to the Rx, to get both Band A and D.  Thanks to Greg Hazelton, who did the necessary circuit board soldering.

Last night, Robert Pike came round with one of the FPV Vapour kits sold by Spektrum.  That is on band D.  So we put my modified Rx to the test.  Guess what.....

Worked first time, like a dream!  So basically I can now receive both Blacksheep/Boscam signals and Fatshark/Immersion/Spektum signals.  With the dome fly coming up, I decided to buy one of the Spektrum $100 micro camera/Tx so I could try it out (either on a Quad or Champ.)

See, I'm still learning.......

Oscar

The micro tx from spectrum works pretty well. I have mounted on varies um planes and quad. The camera is fatshark/immersionrc compatible. There is a button besides the antenna. You can change up to 7 channels.

piker

I hooked 'er up last night and eventually got the goggles seeing what the camera was seeing.  At first it didn't work because I forgot to remove the camera lens, then it didn't work because the battery was too low.  With a fresh battery on the camera, it worked very well.

That Sony camera that Simon has looks to be very good quality.  I may have to copy that purchase  ;D

Papa

All this talk of imagery but not a picture in sight!

Shame on all of you.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

I'm at work Jack!  What do you think this is, a holiday camp?!  :D

Pics tonight.

battlestu

remember to bring all this stuff to the next Red Eagle build class.... i want Gracie try on the googles :)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

OK, so here are the pics that Jack requested.

The FPV plane is a Bixler 2. I moved the rudder servo further back along the fuse to allow for the extra nose weight with the FPV gear. I also added a custom mount to allow for bigger motor and larger prop.

The goggles are the $30 Quanum ones. I've mounted the screen on the outside of the case to give a longer distance from your eyes to reduce eye strain. It is held on with Velcro. I also added some balsa painted matt black to the inside because I was getting glare and light reflections.

The last photos show the added wire in the Rx allowing me to receive band A and D.

Crazyflyer

If anyone is looking at purchasing FPV goggles, http://www.headplay.com/ is a new company coming out next week with high definition goggles for $250.
I tried them, although very big, they are light and they use a single high quality screen, and have the 32 channel receiver.
I think they are better than the Fatsharks and much cheaper.

sihinch

Interesting! Thanks for posting.

I ordered some!!!!!

For research purposes.