Fall 2016 Clean Up

Started by gmcnic, October 17, 2016, 02:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmcnic

Good day everyone.

I am looking for volunteers who would be available for a few hours on Saturday morning, 29/October.
I refrain from calling this a "field closing" since there are a few intrepid pilots who enjoy the winter flying  :P

This year we have a bit more work to clear the perimeter of the grass field where the cultivator cut in too closely.
So please check your calendars and see if you can come join the fun.

Saturday, 29/October, 09:30~11:30
(Rain date Sunday 30/October, same time.)

The usual reward of coffee and donuts will be provided.  ;D
Thank you and look forward to seeing you then.
Graham

sihinch

I'm in for Saturday.

I'm afraid I can't do Sunday, so let's hope it doesn't rain!

bweaver

I'm in.  I assume the usual tools, shovel and rake. 

Bruce

Frank v B

I can do Saturday but not Sunday.

and Bruce.... re:"I assume the usual tools, shovel and rake" add "a sense of humour" but we have some members who specialize in that and you are a charter member.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

battlestu

count me in... mmm free donuts
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

I'll be at Tim's Woodbine by 8:45 Saturday morning to get mentally prepared for the task ahead.

Frank

sihinch

Right now, Saturday is forecast rain.

Frank v B

Just had this horrible thought. 
We are going to be cleaning up the field on Saturday morning to cap off a very good flying season.   :'(
Our buddy Andy will be sitting there, or flying overhead, thinking to himself that we are prepping the field for the start of his flying season on the white stuff. ::)
I guess it is just a matter of perspective.

Frank

Frank v B

re: Simon's "Right now, Saturday is forecast rain."

Here's the deal:

I am going to be at Tim's Woodbine at 8:45 Saturday morning no matter what.  Rain or shine. 
I am going to be at the field at 9:30 rain or shine.
I am going to work on clearing debris from my personal river so that it will drain as soon as the spring melt sets in.  I noticed there are many roots that are catching branches and blocking the flow of water... when there is some.  There has not been a drop of water in the river the past 4 weeks.  If it rains, that should change.

What does a Dutchman call a rainy day?.... summer!
As my mother used to say:  "Get out there and play.  Guaranteed you won't dissolve" 8)
Just so you know, there was no Child Protective Services in Holland. ;)  They're called parents.

As Dr. John said two weeks ago, the two things that let you live longer 1) Choose your parents carefully; and, 2) wear seat belts. ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Frank is SO lucky that my weekend is totally consumed by a family wedding and all of the obligatory appurtenances thereto appertaining.

Have fun, and thanks so much for getting the field ready for winter flying!! 8)

Andy

bweaver

Re Frank's comments.  "I am going to work on clearing debris from my personal river so that it will drain as soon as the spring melt sets in.  I noticed there are many roots that are catching branches and blocking the flow of water... when there is some.  There has not been a drop of water in the river the past 4 weeks.  If it rains, that should change."

Frank, my wife suggests you see a urologist.  They have been known to get your personal river flowing again when it blocks up. She suggests leaving it until spring may be too late.

Bruce

gmcnic

A big Thank You to all for your enthusiasm!

I have been watching the forecast improve all week.  It currently is showing 40% chance of showers and getting warmer.
That means a 60% chance of no showers  ;D

So, like Frank vB, I will start the morning with a coffee at the Tim's before heading over to the field for 9:30am.
Boots and shovels, garden rakes or hoes should get 'er done.

See you tomorrow, sans Andy  :'(
Graham

Frank v B

Andy,   re: "...all of the obligatory appurtenances thereto appertaining."  Who the hell taught you English?  ;)   Translation please! 
I worked for a president at Nabisco who said one day about language used in memos "I want you to use words more difficult than See Spot Run".  He would have  crucified  killed you!   :D

Bruce,  re: Katie's comment  "my wife suggests you see a urologist."... she really is pissed off at me! ;D  ps:   Bruce, I died when I read Katie's comment/advice.  I could just see her laughing and shaking her head while she said it.... with Cha Cha on her lap agreeing with everything she said.

Graham: You have to look out for the sane members of the club and call the day as you see it.  I will look after the lunatic fringe members if it rains. 8)

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on October 27, 2016, 10:20:12 PM
re: Simon's "Right now, Saturday is forecast rain."

Here's the deal:

I am going to be at Tim's Woodbine at 8:45 Saturday morning no matter what.  Rain or shine. 
I am going to be at the field at 9:30 rain or shine.
I am going to work on clearing debris from my personal river so that it will drain as soon as the spring melt sets in.  I noticed there are many roots that are catching branches and blocking the flow of water... when there is some.  There has not been a drop of water in the river the past 4 weeks.  If it rains, that should change.

What does a Dutchman call a rainy day?.... summer!
As my mother used to say:  "Get out there and play.  Guaranteed you won't dissolve" 8)
Just so you know, there was no Child Protective Services in Holland. ;)  They're called parents.

As Dr. John said two weeks ago, the two things that let you live longer 1) Choose your parents carefully; and, 2) wear seat belts. ;D

Frank

You know, it's really amazing how similar Frank and I are.  The only real difference is that he likes his precip as liquid, and I like mine solid.   :D

Have fun in the polders! 

Andy