Saved by our hobby! Internet on LIPO during a power outage

Started by Frank v B, July 27, 2019, 06:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Last night at 5 pm with our son just in from Winnipeg there was a loud crack and bang.  A huge 40' tree came across the road three houses down and blocked the street, took out all the power and a neighbour's BMW.  The power just came on .....13 hours later!! (5:55 am).

The internet was out.  I took the 12 volt inverter (110 Volts AC, 400 watt) from my car, clipped the wire and wired it to a Dean's connector with a pigtail, then plugged it into a charged 3 cell lipo 3600, added a low battery voltage alarm and the internet was back.  We needed it so we could do important stuff like sending photos of the tree, fire trucks and hydro trucks to our 3 grandsons (3,5,6).  I counted 6 trucks on the street at 2 am.  Our son just came back from overseas so he could do stuff like charging cell phones and deal with trip photos.

The phrase "I am going to bed to saw logs" had a whole different meaning.  Chain saws were going until 2 am.  It sounded like the hot-saw competition at a lumberjack meet. :)

Sorry for the poor quality of the battery set-up and router.  I am so going to get lectured by Andy on photo quality, focus, composition, lighting, etc. ;D ;D ;D.  The caution tape in front of the guy taking the photo is tied to the hydro pole in front of our house.  The BMW is under the tree canopy.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Michael